PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Slip yoke seal with boot?? Where does the hole go

TecateDan
08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Doing a little PM on my 1996 chevy tahoe (205K BTW) and while I was doing the U-joints I decided to replace the slipe yoke shaft seal since the saft was out and there was a tiny drip. My question is there is a tiny hole drilled in the boot that I didn't notice until after I installed it. THe is at prabably 5 oclock. Where is it suppose to be, what is it's purpose and should I tear it out of there and install a new one with the hole in a difference posistion?

it's a 5.7L 4 door 4 wheel drive with the 4l60 trans

Mosh
08-27-2012, 09:26 AM
It is there in case any water creeps up around the shaft yoke so it has a place to drain out before going into the primary seal area. They normally are at the 6 posistion. But as long as you are close, it should be fine..unless you drive through deep snow and water.

Big Mike
08-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah what Mosh said, I would leave it alone Dan, you will be fine.

TecateDan
08-27-2012, 10:21 AM
It is there in case any water creeps up around the shaft yoke so it has a place to drain out before going into the primary seal area. They normally are at the 6 posistion. But as long as you are close, it should be fine..unless you drive through deep snow and water.

Yea it is definately close and water will certainly drain out before it rises above the inside seal. Thanks. Glad I don't have to change it again since the seal was like 15 dollars. THe more I save the more I can spend on my trikes