PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a Guitar...need some advice.

Billy Golightly
11-28-2003, 05:31 PM
First of all, I know NOTHING about playing, or anything about guitars themselves. I've just kinda gotten the idea in my head it'd be neat to learn how to play, and I want to try. I figure I can spend between $150-$200. I've already got an amp, mixer, ect. that I can use. I see guitars sitting in pawn shops all the time, should I trust someone working in one of the places to pick out a decent one for me...or is it better off to buy a new one since I don't know how to tell a good one from a junk one? What are some good brands, beginner models?

CHAINSAW
11-28-2003, 08:57 PM
I started out over 10 years ago with a Peavey Predator. It has outlasted guitars that are worth $3000+ , and it still works great. I strongly suggest one for the beginner.
Mine has been dropped, banged, smashed and still works like the day I bought it. Ibanez also makes a quality product. Those are the two I suggest starting out with... and try to buy american. Japanese guitars tend to all apart.

Wickedfinger
11-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Why didnt you e-mail your uncle Jon for some advice Billygoat? - If you're going to just start out, I second the Ibanezes - I used to work for Hoshino/Ibanez in Bensalem for a year or so play testing and doing quality control on outbound shipment models. Good, quality basic instruments that will take you a while to outgrow, unlike the cheap pieces of crap you find all over. Ibanez makes models from $150 new up to the Jem series 7 string Steve Via models that can reach up to $3k. Buy your self a cheap 20w Crate amp too.

Billy Golightly
11-28-2003, 10:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2575349371&category=33046

well I emailed the seller on that one and made him and offer of $85 plus shipping. Think thats a bad deal?

3 weelin geezer
11-29-2003, 01:07 AM
I would suggest musicians friend. They have many to choose from. Are you sure you want to learn to play or is it going to be more of a wallhanger? I got me a 39.95 acoustic here that I sometimes take out. I like my squire more since it is more cheapie (not!) than it used to be and I can use it with a synth to play 'piano' or a horn or whatever. I was also not hesitant to try a new look to it either since it wasn't exactly a 17th century historical item. So far, I have changed the fingerboard for an ebony one from Warmoth , frets to taller ones, a floyd rose and the gk2 pickup for the synth. I like it. it is cool. They say that the plywood ones are pretty good so I bought one for my brother and it sounds pretty good. I forgot what brand it is but it cost 89$ I think. It is still stock with one lone pickup.

Mobular
11-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Since you are new to it, just pick up a cheapie. No need to invest a pail of money in something you may not like. Get one that has a comfortable neck on it, body that's not too thin, and if it's got a tremolo bar, it must have a locking nut. Oh, and if it's got a half fret at the nut move along, a sure sign of crap.

CHAINSAW
11-29-2003, 05:11 PM
Id pay that guy $100 including shipping.

Dont listen to these guys and buy some cheapie like BC Rich or some Epiphone piece of dog $#!T... Stick with Peavey or Ibanez, you wont be sorry. You buy some peice of crap JC Penny guitar, you wont be able to ever get rid of it if you dont like playing. A good quality guitar you can always resale.

Kilborg
11-30-2003, 11:40 AM
I agree with chainsaw here. I am pretty heavily into playing, and so are alot of my friends and family.

My favorites are particularly the fender strat (and superstrat variants). Ibanez also makes some really good stuff. For a minimum investment, buy a taco caster. Its a quality axe. Mexican made telecasters also have a little different a tone to them...mine sounds really clean anyway. You can get regular base strats and teles from the states for pretty cheap nowadays too.

The best way to go for learning is accoustic. It takes more skill to play fluidly and you will be a better musician for learning with the accoustic.

Ace Mon
11-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Thats a good guitar Billy . A nice entry level axe . I have owned many guitars over the years . I currently own a Jackson strat . If I had a chance to do it all over again I would have gone with an Ibanez . The Jackson company was sold to the Japanese , hence the nick name Japson . Feners are good , epiphone is ownedby them but is not up to par . I would have to listen to Tejas on this one .