PDA

View Full Version : Power outlet without battery?

fordrangerracer
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I have a 1982 Honda 200 regular old pull start no battery. I was wondering if there was any way to add a power outlet such as in a car (cigarette lighter) so I could charge my GPS. Usually we don't go riding for more than 6 or 7 hours in Trevorton but last weekend we got lost. 12 hours later we were back. A GPS would be very useful. I was thinking about deleting the rear brake light and running it off of those wires? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Gary

kb0nly
08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
In short NO..

The reason? The 82 200 is an AC power system, the simple alternator just outputs AC voltage to run lighting only, its not rectified or regulated, there is no DC voltage available.

To do what you want at a bare minimum you would have to wire in a rectifier/regulator and use either a small gel cell type battery mounted somewhere or a large filter capacitor to smooth out the DC for the GPS or any other item plugged into your aux outlet. What you want is completely possible, and i have done it before, but its not as simple as robbing power from the tail light, that is unless you like a fried GPS.

fordrangerracer
08-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Well thank-you for the advice! lol I definitely won't do it then. I suppose I might add a small battery to the dry box and just run it off of that as needed and just recharge. I didn't know it was that complicated and I'm glad I asked before I did it. Again thank-you!

kb0nly
08-31-2012, 12:10 PM
You could easily add a small rectifier/regulator to charge that small battery but yeah its not as simple and plug in and go. A small 7ah gel cell battery is cheap enough these days, its sealed and won't leak in there, and should run the GPS for most of the day.