PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a 200es topend???

nathan lovern
09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone,
Nathan Lovern here. I think i will rebuild my topend at tax time. All the parts from Dr.ATV is only $150 (piston,valves,topend gasket kitt,valve guides). Is there anything else to the topend i should rebuild? It runs good but leaves a good smoke trail behind me :-) call her ol smokey :-)
What can i do to the head myself? i can prob change the valves but how are the vuides put in? Valve seats??? The local shop charges $60 an hour labor :-(
Thanks

dustrunner
09-02-2012, 06:37 PM
welcome.. all i do if they are runners but smokers is rings , re-lapp in the original valves into the head, install new valve seals and re-assemble. ( if the cylinder is nice ) otherwise you would need to at least hone the cylinder or possibly get it bored out or a different good cylinder.. that also means you have to get a bigger piston and rings... but you shouldnt if all is good with the cylinder

kb0nly
09-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I agree, if its a runner and isn't noisy i would put in some new rings, new valve stem seals while you have it apart, and also replace the timing chain. You have to pull it apart anyway and a timing chain is the number one noise maker and cause for grief on these.

If she is smoking its either rings or valve stem seals, but the seals usually cause leak down that burns off right away when you start it up after sitting a while, if its always smoking then its rings.

Mine is starting to leak a bit around the head gasket, so i will probably being doing a top end teardown myself soon. I plan on rings, seals, gaskets, timing chain and timing chain guides, and then run it for another twenty years.

2010iron883
09-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Oh man , mine is quiet , but smokes too, when yall do this keep the picture commin , please! kbonly knows his atc's so listen too him too!

2010iron883
09-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Wouldnt a hone be best anytime you replace rings. Ive always honed the briggs i have built, i cant remeber for sure but it seems like the shop teacher always had the stock size rings to go back in even after a hone, wouldnt you just use the stock size unless its bad ? What do you think kb?

dustrunner
09-09-2012, 07:56 PM
sorry to but inn but i always hone a good cylinder just to kleen it up and then get a new set of standard ring. yep good idea.. did 2 of my 350x 's and they were great .