PDA

View Full Version : 83 YTM 200 with no spark

cbhrigger
09-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Hey All,

I have an 83 Yamaha YTM 200 with no spark. Little bit of history, was riding it on trails last fall when it died on me. Picked it up, brought it home and looked at it. It had a weak spark then with old and new spark plug. I did not have a chance to work on it during the winter or the spring. This is what I have done. Checked all the wiring harnesses for continuity - good. Kill switch - good. Light switch - good. Resistances for the stator and all within limits. Resistance for ignition coil (old and new) read the same but not within tolerances. I have switched out the CDI with one that was believed to be good and no spark. Same with the old CDI. I am at a loss of what else to do or check. Any advise would be helpful as would like to get at least one ride this year before snow comes.

Thanks, Chris

PS: I have only been checking to see if I get a spark by grounding the plug to the head before I mount and fill the gas tank. I also drained the oil and have not filled yet, in case of having to replace the stator. Would the lack of oil have anything to do with not getting power to CDI? Similar to connector gel?

muthey
09-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I am going to go out on a limb and say it's your ignition coil is an issue, replace it, then definitely put oil in as pulling it with no oil is going to wear on the piston which you don't want at all