PDA

View Full Version : 85 or 86 tri-z?

Rigaman
09-04-2012, 09:48 AM
I know the answer is usually 85.5 or 86 is better than 85. I have a predicament. I can buy a mint fully restored 85, that comes with tons of extra parts.only a half hour on the rebuilt motor, so it needs breaking in still. It is spectacular mint too.

For the same price, I can get a 86, pretty much original. Great shape, rebuilt motor with 10 hours on it.... not restored, and has its flaws, but its nice.

I cant decide what to get. Every trike I've bought has had things start going bad... its just how it is.... I feel the restored one will not have any bearings go bad, or any of that minor stuff. I just want to ride...

What are your thoughts? Restored 85, or unrestored 86?

badass350x
09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
just really depends on what you want, the up grades the came with the 86 are nice in a big way 6speed, bigger forks, etc, the big question is do you want those upgrades or do you want restored???? And has the 85 been truly restored? Pics would work to.

Mosh
09-04-2012, 12:17 PM
The only downside to getting the 86 is...The Trans parts are nearly extinct as well as the 39 mil forks and tripple clamps. So if you tweak the front end in a wreck, or trash the trans cluster, you will have to swap to 85 parts most likely due to the lack of these particular 86 upgrade parts being available. If you do find these rare 86 parts, you will pay out the nose for them. There are way more 85 parts than 86 when it comes to those areas..The up side is they handle better on the 86 and the swingarm bearings are easier to get since they match the banshee needle bearings. IMO the 86 has the 6th gear which other than being more trail friendly for gearing choices, I dont really think they make much of a difference in over all performance vs. the 5 speed.

The 85 was raked out more in the tripples with smaller forks. The 86 the rake was pulled back for better handling and the front forks were better for suspension.

IMO if the 85 is fully rebuilt and done right, I would get that and be done with it. The 86 will be worth more in the end on resale if your restore it and are harder to find over all..
85's are all over the place if you want to get the 86 first then go after a 85 later, it will be easier to find the 85.

Rigaman
09-04-2012, 01:34 PM

badass350x
09-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I would run with the 85!

Rigaman
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I got the 85. It's real nice. Couple minor issues. But nothing serious.

One thing is... when I shift, I can't feel it click into gear. It goes into gear very smoothly. And doesn't skip or anything. But I find myself questioning if it shifted. The throw on the shifter seems very long too. What could that be?

mjfrary2012
09-07-2012, 07:56 AM
I was watching the same trikes on craigslist I think you made the right choice. I have a 85 and it also shifts very smooth its never been a problem.

bslama69
09-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I have an '85 that the previous owner put an '86 engine into. I think that I have used 6th gear MAYBE twice in the 4 years I have had the bike. My Banshee also has a 6-speed and I never use 6th. I've never understood the hype about 6-speed transmissions : ) I really like my '85. My only complaint was that it was too easy to bottom out the front suspension. I solved this by using 20w fork oil (factory is like 7wt) and running zero air pressure. They work great now. I think you'll enjoy your bike for years to come.