PDA

View Full Version : 85 Honda 250sx drive shaft boot replacement

Motorgidd
09-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Hello All,

I recently bought an 85 250sx and have been slowly restoring it. I have read that it is very important to make sure the drive shaft boot is always in good shape. Well, after riding for 3 hours on some wooded farmland I was checking over everything and noticed the DS boot was torn. I have a new one ordered but was curious how hard it is to change the boot out? And is there anything in particular to look out for or tricks when doing it?

Flyingw
09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
With a helper, you can change the boot without disassembling anything. Cut the old boot off. The propeller shaft is spring loaded so if your helper pushes the propeller shaft back, there is enough gap to wiggle the new boot in. Also, there will come a day when the SX boots are discontinued due to stock depletion. This has already happened to the ES boots. You might want to order a spare boot and stash it away. I have a couple new boots in my parts stash.

Motorgidd
09-04-2012, 03:38 PM
That sounds easy enough! All of the trikes I used to have were chain driven... This drive shaft stuff is new to me. I will take your advice on the boot as well. Thanks!