PDA

View Full Version : why would my 2 stroke Tri-Z be seeping oil from head

Massengill
09-07-2012, 11:07 AM
My Tri-Z seeps what looks to be oil out from between the cylinder and head. It does it while it's just sitting, not running. When I 1st noticed the oil under it, it appeared to be gear oil, because I just changed the oil. It was a nice golden oil, just like fresh 10W-40 looks. So I cleaned the engine off yesterday, then I get up this morning and now I have a black oil under it. It is definitely coming from the front side of the head, down the cylinder, onto the bottom end case, and ending up on the ground.

I know it is probbaly a simple fix, like change the gasket, but why would it be seeping oil from up top if it is not even running? As far as I know the fuel shut-off is working properly, and I didn't over-service the oil. I haven't started it up since Tuesday, noticed to oil on Wednesday, cleaned the engine off yesterday, and now I have oil seeping out today. After it sit's all night, the oil spot is about the size of your plam on the ground.

El Camexican
09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Any chance of the air filter being over-oiled and leaking down onto the engine? Or that you spilled some oil in that area? Don't open that engine just yet. Look for another source, wipe it down really well and go for a easy ride till it gets good and hot, then park it and take another good look in the area you think its leaking from. If while you're riding it starts to run funny, or white smoke is coming out of the pipe, shut it down. Also check that the coolant hoses are firm with preasure when its hot.

Massengill
09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I did put a new UNI filter in and oiled it, but I also did ring it out real good. I'll check the filter box and see if I have some oil puddled up inside.

Robosnow
09-08-2012, 11:07 AM
If it never leaked oil before you oiled the new filter etc...chances are it may be coming from there. Good idea, check the air box for excess oil. Maybe its dripping out of there. If not then maybe its time to replace the gasket. Keep us posted.

I did put a new UNI filter in and oiled it, but I also did ring it out real good. I'll check the filter box and see if I have some oil puddled up inside.

bslama69
09-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Hopefully it's simple like the oil from the filter, although what you described as "palm-sized" would mean that you are way over-oiling your filter. One other thing to check is to put a stick or screwdriver down the oil fill hole to make sure that you did not have a seal go on your water pump. This happened on my Banshee and then your coolant seeps into your crankcase, pushing the oil out. Also a relatively easy fix.

Massengill
09-09-2012, 09:35 PM
looks like the filter was over oiled, thanx everyone

El Camexican
09-11-2012, 12:36 AM
looks like the filter was over oiled, thanx everyone

Glad to hear that. Welcome to 3WW, hope to see you and your Yamaha around in the future.