PDA

View Full Version : Never too old to learn!

MRSOUND
09-07-2012, 12:28 PM
At the ripe old age of 45 I headed back to school this week. I attribute this decision to my 1st trike which I purchased in march of 2011 (86 BR) to have a "tinker toy" and all the members here on 3ww who helped spark my addiction to these wondrous machines which seems to grow on a daily basis. I consider myself a mechanically inclined person seeing how I worked in a machine shop for 10yrs straight out of high school (I have my journeyman machinist papers) and have been working at the Harley-Davidson final assembly plant in york, PA for the last 16. That being said I have only ever rebuilt (2) 2 stroke motor top ends (Old Harley 3 wheel golf cart & a 1980 Yamaha MX80) but have never cracked a case or adjusted valves, timing etc. So for the next 15 weeks, 2 nites a week, 3 hrs a night I am enrolled in a small gas engine repair class at my old high school (technical school). I'm only 2 nights into it and have already learned a boat load of knowledge and can't wait to learn more! Our 1st "shop" project will be to tear down and reassemble a 4 stroke motor. Torn between a KLT or Honda motor. Anyway, I have these option to start with: 85' KLT 110 or could use a Honda 90 (78), 200s(85), 200e(82) or 250sx(86). All of these are motors either in trikes not currently running or out ones I have parted. Which one should I use as my first total tear down and why? And why not the other ones?

thestud25
09-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Awesome! I work for a University and I think that education is a necessity at any age! Congrats man. Do the KLT!

atc007
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Sx,,most popular. You can't go wrong though. They will ALL teach you timing,valves,etc,,tranny,clutch. Before you know it,you'll be doing them all hands down. My hat is off to you for doing this!! I love it. Nice weekend for a ride North??

blue27
09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
200s will be the easiest to learn with and if you mess up, parts are easy to find and cheap compared to KLT or SX

MRSOUND
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Would love to if I could Bill. Mandatory overtime today & tomorrow = a 60 hr week plus the schooling means Sunday will be catch up around the house. I will hit you up with a date after I talk to the wife tonight, I think she has a "girls" day planned in 2 weeks? Maybe we could arrange something for then if it suits you?

oldskool83
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
90 would be cheap also, very small. you will mess up, somthing thats only way you learn. 1st time i slipt a motor i took the right side case off and spilled gears all over the place. you will learn tricks but id say the 90 or a 200s motor

MRSOUND
09-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Good point Bruce, I will definitely take that into consideration. I don't think the instructor will hold anybodies hand but atleast I will have someone there looking over my shoulder should I try to do something really stupid.
So oldschool83 your telling me I need to take the left side off first in order to get the trans pack out without "dumping" it?

keister
09-07-2012, 05:39 PM
I vote 200S because that was my first trike and if you totally screw the pooch I have an extra motor you can have and / or rebuild for me.

atc007
09-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Different tranny's dump out different sides. Unless of course it's a Nicholson or Banshee,,they slit top to bottom. Anyhow,,,best thing you'll need are blocks,blocks just the right size for the engine you are working with. Usually 3x4's or 4x4's. Keep in touch,I'll be here. I hope !

MRSOUND
09-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Too funny keister! As you can see by the poll I have plenty of my own to "screw the pooch" with. LOL
Thanks Bill! I'm sure I'll be hitting you guys up as I go. Just don't want end up being too "needy" to the point of being annoying. I tend to want too many details sometimes. I have feeling my teacher will either love me or hate me till this is all said and done.

just ben
09-07-2012, 10:23 PM
It really doesn't matter which engine you work on. You arent learning to work on one engine, you are learning the concept which will apply to all of the engines you mentioned. have fun at school and keep in mind you are never to old to throw an m80 down a toilet. It's always a blast haha.oh and the left (shifter) side always comes of first unless it is a british bike with a right hand shift. don't you have peppers to pick? and make into jam for us unsuspecting idiots that will try anything? HAHA. congrats on furthering your education, I wish I had the time to do it myself

MRSOUND
09-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Thanks Ben, your right, it is to learn the basic principles of any small gas engine. I'm just looking for opinions and different folks perspectives on the different motors and why they would choose that particular motor. One thing I probably should have added is the 90 is the most complete trike followed by the KLT 110 then the 250SX. both 200 motors were out of "parts" trikes. So I'm also struggling with using one that's already out (easy pickings) or taking one out of a possible "runner" for instant gratification of riding it when it's done. As for as the jam, my pepper crop is tanking this year and I'm not sure if I'll get enough to make any. I guess there's always the farmers market to supplement what I do get. You'll know when I get a batch done;)

coolpool
09-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I voted for the 90 so you can experience working with points/timing and a sub-transmission. I don't think any of the other motors you listed have them? My hats off to you for learning new things, I changed occupations after 20 yrs in the Army and haven't regretted one minute of it. You'll love the new challenges. Best of luck!

MRSOUND
09-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the input coolpool! Didn't think about the points setting, definitely something to consider as an added "skill" . Now for the questions....What differences are the between the 90 & 200 trans? Not knowing I assumed they worked on the same principle? Can you or anyone elaborate on this for me a little?

MRSOUND
09-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Wow...Had 170 views and only 11 votes. Oh well 4 votes for the 90 & 200. I'm gonna go with the 90 for a couple of reasons. I like coolpool's idea of experiencing the points setting. But another factor is I will need to carry it back and forth from the shop area to where the adult ed classes projects are locked up. I know i will need a gasket set, plug, points, carb rebuild kit, and a fly wheel puller. Anyone have any suggestions of any parts or specialty tools for this model I might want to get? I'll wait on piston and rings till I can measure bore. Oh...and look what one of the high school kids have as a project:p
Thanks for the input guys!:beer

oldskool83
09-11-2012, 10:22 PM
lol nice, 200x is not a bad 1st time motor either, just they have the kicker gear issues so unless you fix it right your never really fixing it. you can never have nuff tools. I only like to mess with a certain type of motor. 2 strokes are wasy easier to learn the consept of rebuilding, they are very very simple to work on. you can find blow up cr80's all day long as basket cases or old school racers. either way pick a bike and rebuild it all if you can, then you have somthing cool to say look what i did. thats why i vote atc90, you learn and can have very cool vintage peice to say "go me"

MRSOUND
09-12-2012, 04:39 AM
The 200x is not mine. as I said in the previous post that is one of the high school students projects. Just thought it was pretty cool that someone in that age group was into 3 wheels. As far as a 2 stroke, that will be the next project for my class. We have to do both for the class, 4 stroke first. I have a 1980 Yamaha MX80 that I redid just the top end on a couple of years ago. When I got it started it sounded like rocks in a tin can from the bottom end. I sat it aside and haven't touched it since. That will probably be my 2 stroke project.

MRSOUND
11-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Ok guys, I'm ready for reassembly of the bottom end of my motor. My question is: Additional gasket seal around the gaskets for case?covers?sub trans cover? And if so what brand sealer do you recommend if needed? Need some quick answers cause I will be starting it tomorrow evening in class. I know, nothing like waiting to the last minute:D

MRSOUND
12-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Well I finally got to the point of starting my rebuilt 90 engine last evening at school. It was bitter sweet to say the least. After fooling with the carb leaking we finally figured out I didn't have the bowl drain screw turned all the way in.:rolleyes: After that I finally got it to pop off! But I went from :p to :cry: in mere moments when one of the other students pointed out that "hey your leaking oil on the floor". It's running down the case from somewhere up behind the front sprocket. (lots of JB weld on the case as if the chain may have blew at one time) If that wasn't bad enough it also started leaking around the head gasket. Seen all the posts about using only OEM head gaskets, did I listen? Nooooo! So I used the one out of the Athena kit I bought off ebay.:crazy: It had fitment issues from the beginning. (another lesson learned) Every time someone makes a mistake in class the instructor always asks "you know what that's called"? "More PRACTICE". So when he saw the leak he said you know what that means don't ya? I said yep more practice. Although I far from consider myself an engine builder now I have learned a lot so far. Besides other issues I ran across that I already posted I had to diagnose a no spark issue. It came down to a break in the wire that comes off the bottom of the points to the harness. A little solder and it was good to go. Thank you to all who posted help and encouragement. It's very much appreciated. As far as the instructor is concerned I completed my project. Transformed non running engine to running engine (even though it needs leaks fixed:mad:) Up next - 2 cycle...Due to time (only 2 more weeks of classes) I've decided to try to fix my Homlite chainsaw. I see alot more "practice" in my trike future.

blue27
12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
well it ran!!!! Great job Mike! now you can sell the motor and say "ran when parked" lol

MRSOUND
12-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Good one Bruce! I don't see a 90 in your signature, wanna buy it? Lol