PDA

View Full Version : YTM225 Identification

splangeland
09-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a ytm225, I have no idea what year it is. I was wondering if there was any defining characteristics so I can determine what year it is so I can buy a manual for it and any parts I may need. Also, I heard of changing the rear end to make it faster. Any ideas on how much it will cost and how hard it would be to do it.
Thanks, Spencer

dustrunner
09-07-2012, 03:44 PM
on a honda there is a tag up on the frame under the handlebars. i would look for one on it somewhere.. good luck

stickinto3wheel
09-07-2012, 05:11 PM
124356q said under the handle bars on the tube that connects the steering stem if the tag is gone the vin number is right there also

MonroeMike
09-08-2012, 12:27 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/132415-Yamaha-serial-VIN-numbers

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Yamaha/ytm200-225-fm200l.pdf

muthey
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
I am wondering where you read about changing the rear end to make it faster, as if it is a 225, then it is a shaft driven trike and there isn't much that can be done with the drive line. Does it have reverse? even if it does, any 225 part will work, also the only thing that really change on the 225's was some of the jets in the carb mainly the starter jet. The only thing drastically different between the dx, and dr "reversed" trike is the cdi, and the dr has reverse gears in it. I guess the main question is it fully suspended, if not and there is no back shock then you have a ytm 200.

splangeland
09-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Crap I knew that sticker was there I don't know what I was thinking, turns out its an '84.

Mmuthey: For the life of me I can not remember where I read that. It didnt make much sense to me either. It's definatley not a ytm200, that's what my last one was. RIP I finally killed her :(. I was just hoping someone knew how to do that if it was possible. I don't feel like my 225 is as fast as my 200 so I was hoping to increase the speed a little. But hey, for $450 I pretty much stole this puppy.

muthey
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't know maybe the timberwolf ring gear is a different ratio or something, but my 225 is plenty fast for me, I was keeping up with a 660 grizzly out on the trails here with ease, if we hit an open flat would he pull away definitely, but but comparing a 225 to a 660 there is a lot of size difference there.

splangeland
09-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah I guess its plenty fast, I just miss the get up and go my 200 had. I must say though, I'll trade that speed for full suspension, headlight/taillight, electric start, and matching plastics. It's like driving a cadillac :)

muthey
09-10-2012, 03:26 PM
lmao, and if you live in certain states like I do you can license any atv for on the road, but not the highway like I am doing with mine

splangeland
09-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I live in the great state of Michigan. Honestly I don't even know what our rules for that kinda stuff is. I just stick to trail riding up north and tareing up my yard and all the local dirt rodes. I'm leaving in a couple weeks to go riding but now she's giving me some trouble. At first I was having some issues with spark but I cut right above the boot and screwed the boot into new wire and it fixed my problems... for a minute. It keeps poppin and actually shot quite the impresive fire ball out the tail pipe. I found that the hose coming from my airbox to my carb was dissconnected so I zip tied it back on and that fixed my problems... for a minute. Now it will only push start and pops really bad and has no power. I'm thinking either the carb was tuned while that hose was loose, or when it was loose I sucked somthing into it and its holding the float up and flooding it out. That happened to my cousins ytm175, a fiber the piece f a small hair got lodged in there and it was kinda doing the same thing, cleaned it out and whallah good as new. I'm just hoping its not the cdi or something expensive, although I really don't like tearing into carbs.

splangeland
09-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Scratch that, seafoam first... its easier :)