PDA

View Full Version : 200es- Whining sound when slowing down.

Sabertooth
09-08-2012, 11:18 PM
When slowing down in about 3nd gear and above, it makes a whining sound near the tranny and drive shaft. I owned other shaft drive ATVs, but not a ATC till recently. I don't remember them being as loud.

Changed motor oil, bearings and gear oil when I bought it. Just wondering If its normal for these bikes.

kb0nly
09-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Hmm never hear that sound on mine. Wish i could suggest what to look at but not totally sure havent had this problem yet.

wonderboy
09-09-2012, 04:26 PM
When you are moving at a good speed and let go of the throttle, are you getting good engine braking? If the one-way bearing in the one-way clutch has failed, you will get that symptom (poor or no engine braking due to the one-way slipping), as well as a funny spinning whining sound when you shut down the motor.

If not that, typically whining while you are moving is the hypoid (rear-end) gears. Are you running gear oil in the rear axle? Filled up enough?

Sabertooth
09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm getting good engine braking as far as it feels. I just had the rear axle welded, so I made sure it was full of gear oil. The whining sound seems to be coming right under the seat, and is not always a constant whine while coasting in lower gears. Higher the gear, louder the whine really.

I have not experienced the spinning, then loud click noise when shutting it off. I have had it happen sometimes on one of my old hondas.

If it happened to be the bearing. What can be done to keep it for wearing out faster? If anything.

Sabertooth
09-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Does anyone have any more ideas?

ps2fixer
09-22-2012, 01:47 AM
If I remember correctly, my 84 200es does the same, but it has had a long hard life, so I thought it was just the gears worn. Does hi/lo range make a difference?

Sabertooth
09-23-2012, 02:29 AM
If I remember correctly, my 84 200es does the same, but it has had a long hard life, so I thought it was just the gears worn. Does hi/lo range make a difference?
Hi/lo range works the way they should. Low doesn't do it much even in its highest gear, I think thats just because its not fast enough.