PDA

View Full Version : Carb Issues 86 Tri Z

New2Tri-Z
09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Just got my Tri Z put back together. Picked it up form a buddy, been sitting 5-7 yrs, the carb was mucked up to say the least, cleaned it well, now the bike will start and seems to idle for most part, but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies.:wondering No bogging or choking just shuts off. I have pulled apart and cleaned many carbs but not to familiar with adjusting them. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. The only experiance I have with cutting out is clogged jets, so when you throttle it dies. maybe I need to clean them again? Thanks in advance for your imput.:beer

Tri-Z 250
09-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Air leak...most likely somethings a touch loose go over the rubber boot connections on both sides of the carb, reed chamber/boost port. Is your slider connected and in the middle knoch on the needle? Bowl float seems to be in good shape and not just bottomed out? Not much to the carb...if it runs your close, just need to fine tune it a bit. When cleaning the fuel system don't forget the fuel pump...they collect a bunch of stuff.

New2Tri-Z
09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I am missing the air filer at this point, do you think that could be my air leak? I did clean puel pump, tank and carb. Even cleaned out the petcock. Fuel should be clean, but air leak sounds like the prob.

TimSr
09-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Just got my Tri Z put back together. Picked it up form a buddy, been sitting 5-7 yrs, the carb was mucked up to say the least, cleaned it well, now the bike will start and seems to idle for most part, but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies.:wondering No bogging or choking just shuts off. I have pulled apart and cleaned many carbs but not to familiar with adjusting them. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. The only experiance I have with cutting out is clogged jets, so when you throttle it dies. maybe I need to clean them again? Thanks in advance for your imput.:beer

Usually this is a case of the throttle slide goes up, air rushes in, but no fuel goes in with it. Since its idling, you know you are getting fuel to the bowl, and through the pilot circuit, which probably means the main jet is clogged, or the needle has lost its clip.

bslama69
09-14-2012, 09:13 AM
I agree with TimSr. After a bike has sat for over 6 months the jets get clogged up solid. Make sure that you can see light through both the main and the idle jets. I would also put on an air filter because you may be allowing too much air to flow without it.

beecj0
09-14-2012, 01:43 PM
X3 on the plugged main.

New2Tri-Z
09-17-2012, 01:38 AM
I think I may fig it out, I had the fuel lines wrong. I went thru the forum on fri and found some pretty good info on fuel line routing, eliminnated the 2nd petcock and put all new hose to carb. I did pull needle, it seemed clean as with pilot as I justcleaned the carb, and clip was on 2nd knock. still waitin on air filter. Gonna get K&N I think I have air box but cage and filter are missing. Gonna wait to run it till I get filter but I think I may have solved it as it was idling but I never did have fuel in the bowl, when I opened it, so I think starvin for fuel was the real issue. Ill let u know in few days if its runnin or yet or if I have more ???? Thanks again for input this site is great

New2Tri-Z
09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
So I have been mesing around trying to get this bike to run. I rerouted the fuel lines correctly I beileve but it wount even start now. before I had the breather from the gas tank hooked to nipple on jug and the line off the fuel pump that was supposed to go to the jug, was disconnected. I could get it to start and idle but if you throttled at all it would die (fig probably because it was starving for fuel). Now I rerouted it all correctly (I think) and it wont start. Im not getting any fuel thru the line from pump to carb (i eliminated 2nd petcock). Fuel pump has fuel in bowl, is this a clogged pump or fuel line maybe? Anyway to check to see if plugged? I cleaned the pump well but did not replace the diaphrams? Maybe one is cracked or something? Any help I would be greatful.

Tri-Z 250
09-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Take the line from pump to carb off...make sure your petcocks are open. Kick the bike over...does the pump work?? The breather on the back of the motor should give the pump a breath of air...not strong. The plastic guts of the pump do wear out and crack with time still available.

When you say put back together....you mean the motor is a fresh bore or you put the rims and plastic back on? If it's not a fresh rebuild drain the motor oil and make sure your not trying to start a blown motor....if at anytime it's milkey white, yer done.

lotust
09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
they sell rebuild carb kits for like 30$ on Ebay.

New2Tri-Z
10-08-2012, 11:36 AM
So Im not getting any fuel from the pump to carb. If I feed the line with fuel manually it runs like a rapped ape, but once I hook up the fuel pump not a drop. Pulled pump apart all the way down cleaned it all out. No visable problems with plastic parts but obviously something is not working. Any ideas? Would a rebuild kit fix this or is the pump having some kind of mechanical issue? I finally got it running though, just starving for fuel now :naughty:

Philip nicholls
10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi bud I live on the isle of Wight just finished a Tri 86 and road registered it I had the same problem with swing arm I do have new bolt if you need one my mate is having the same problem i would replace the diafram first but check your Compresion because his trike would run then stop but it was water getting in the bore good luck keep with 3 wheels

RIDE-RED 250r
10-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Make sure the line that runs from the bottom RHS of the cylinder to the fuel pump is in good shape, snugly connected at both ends and not clogged. Your fuel pump works from the vacuum or pressure pulse (not sure which) of the engine. If there is any trouble with that line your fuel pump won't work.

bslama69
10-13-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't like the vacuum-actuated pumps. The one on my Tri-Z works fine (so far) but we had major problems with the one on our 2006 Yamaha Rhino. I replaced the vacuum pump twice and then gave up and put on an electric pump. No more issues. Anyhow, you can test if your vacuum pump is working by pulling the hose from the crankcase and using your mouth to create vacuum. Sounds weird but suck in and out (insert joke here) on the line to see if it makes the pump move fuel. Obviously disconnect the fuel line as well so that you can see if fuel comes out. If it doesn't move fuel you need to replace the pump.

badass350x
10-13-2012, 09:45 PM
^^or just simply rebuild it.

Davyboy
03-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Hi, i am new to this website
Just got a 85' tri z250 and got it running, the thing is if im just messing around on the hills it runs fine but on a long run it starts to fart and pop, add more throttle and it dies, any ideas???
Ive fitted a new pump diaphram kit and cleaned the carb but made no difference
Any help would be gratefully received

Rider414
03-24-2014, 06:46 PM
The bike is sucking the bowl dry, check the vent lines on the gas tank and your float level.