PDA

View Full Version : thumb throttle for Tri-Z

Massengill
09-22-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm looking to take the twist throttle off my Tri-Z and put a thumb throttle back on, what are my best options for a thumb throttle/cable combo?

Rigaman
09-22-2012, 12:37 PM
You could go stock. Stock cable is nice because you know you wont have to do any modifications to the cable.

Some cables are too long, and you will have to shorten them and solder the nub that attaches to the thumb throttle back on. Measure twice, cause if you do it too short, you wont be able to adjust it enough for the carb slide to fully seat.

The stock cable I have is annoying though. It is 2 cables connected by a box that has an actuator in it. So when you pull the thumb throttle, the throw is shorter than having a full cable. (I think thats what it does)

Any thumb throttle should work. I have a Moose alumimum throttle on my 200x, and it is awesome. I love it. What it really comes down to is getting a cable that works. Most cables used for thumb throttles should work. You can always adjust it at the carb and at the throttle. I think most twist throttle cables have about the same length. I had a twist throttle kit my tri-z came with, and the cable was about 2 inches too long. The outer cable was the right length. But I had to cut and solder it.

Maybe someone has used a 250r cable, or a cable from a different bike that can let us know if it works right.

If a bike uses a carb similar to the round slide mikuni on the tri-z, it should be the right size cable. They are mostly all around the same size throw from seated to fully open I think.

TimSr
09-22-2012, 12:42 PM
If you use the 86 TriZ Throttle cable, which is the one piece, and has the threaded adjustemnt on the end, it will fit most throttles with the threaded cable input. The only thing to watch for is that some throttles are large enough to interfear with the front brake lever movement. I've got a Banshee throttle on one machine, a Blaster (though a bit large) on my trail machine, and a Honda TRX250 throttle on a third machine. I prefer the Banshee one which most closely feels like the TriZ.

Rigaman
09-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh thats good to know. I do not like the 2 piece cable from the 85. Banshee cable sounds like the best route. Or an 86.

TimSr
09-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Oh thats good to know. I do not like the 2 piece cable from the 85. Banshee cable sounds like the best route. Or an 86.

Let me clarify in saying I was mentioning the Banshee THROTTLE only. You need the 86 TriZ throttle cable regardless of which throttle you use with it. The Banshee cable pulls two carbs and will not work.