PDA

View Full Version : Motor Vehicle Inspection Pit Questions

timex69
09-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey
I was wondering if any of you guys have a pit in your workshops and is it a hassle to get insurance for your building if you have one. I keep getting mixed answers from everyone I ask. I have herd that you can get insurance if it has ventilation fans as well as proper drainage and I have been told unless its pre existing you cannot install a new pit under any circumstances. I have been working out of existing pits in a commercial environment for along time as a truck and transport mechanic but would like to have one installed in my garage.

Any info would be appreciated.
Al

old-yellow
09-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Got my attention i to want to hear about this.

250rAL
09-24-2012, 08:28 PM
How would the insurance man even know it's there unless you tell them? Mine has only ever looked at the outside of my buildings. I thought seriously about putting one in my existing garage but it would be a difficult DIY project. If you were thinking about putting one in a yet to be built building, it would be easier to just make the building tall enough and put a hoist in.

Scootertrash
09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Well, first off, if it's new construction, ya better check your building codes, cuz they sure as heck ain't gonna miss it on final inspection if they are not allowed.

Secondly, while you may be able to sneak it by your insurance agent, what's gonna happen the first time someone gets hurt falling into your pit? Lying and cheating never pay off. ;)

Thirdly, why on earth would you want to spend all that time digging a hole, laying block or pouring walls for your pit, when you can buy a rebuilt hoist for probably less money? And not have to climb up and down stairs to do your wrenching?

timex69
09-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Scootertrash, the liability issue is exactly what i was hoping someone might know off hand. I will make some calls in the future to find out about my local building code.

In my case height and money is an issue or I would already have a hoist, as i mentioned earlier I am a truck and transport mechanic and while I may be able to fit a small car hoist in my garage I definately cant fit a hoist big enough to lift dump trucks/highway tractors so a pit is my best bet. A pit with ventilation, lighting and jacking beams is the best bang for the buck in my case. Looks like I will have to do some more digging on the can i legally install new pit.

Al

Scootertrash
09-27-2012, 06:37 AM
I didn't know you wanted to work on dump trucks and highway tractors :O I thought you were just mentioning what you do for a living and were looking for something to work on normal every day cars and trucks. Yea, you've got a special situation there. PLus I just noticed you live in Canada, that's going to make a difference too.

Bryan Raffa
09-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Here in NY im pretty sure there illegal .. too many guys blowin themselves up with fumes settleing in the pit.

up-tyte
09-29-2012, 07:39 AM
I looked into doing this about 12 years ago and the cost would be pretty high. I'm in Missouri and at that time the pit would be allowed but everything in it had to be explosion proof and the vent fan would have to run 24/7, plus a heavy grate to cover the pit when not in use. I do know that a couple of years ago a company made a tornado shelter that went in the garage floor, but talking to our codes people they said they wouldn't allow it.

timex69
09-29-2012, 02:10 PM
according to the owner of a heavy equipment company here in town you can work out of one if it was installed at the time they were legal in your area. You cannot build a new pit under any circumstance in my province. So for all of you following this its a hoist or nothing.