PDA

View Full Version : The unofficial craigslist "rules"

wonderboy
09-24-2012, 07:36 PM
I am so naive...

So I'm listing my TRX125 on craigslist. It is the only quad in my collection, and it is time for it to go. I posted my craigslist ad with lots of description and info and got quite a few hits on it right away.

The very first guy, who contacted me within 5 minutes of posting my ad, was a SURE thing. Well, I believed it. Over the course of a week, we exchanged phone calls 1/2 dozen times, trying to work out a time to meet. Everything was great. I wanted to be a nice guy and told all the others they'd have to wait.

Well guess how this story ends?

Tonight was the night, and the guy doesn't even come out to look. Phone call went like this: Are you ready to come out tonight to look at the TRX125? Sorry, I'm not interested anymore. Click.

Jerk.

So here are my rules, with a new #4 added:
1. CASH ONLY!! I won't accept a check, especially for more money and then refund the difference... I'm not stupid.
2. If you want to come take a look, lets set up a time and keep it. I'm busy and don't have time to waste with no shows.
3. If you want me to meet you somewhere, I'll drive up to an hour from Livonia, MI 48150. I'll need $50 deposit via paypal. If you don't want the machine, I'll keep $20 for gas money (and time).
4. First to show up with cash in hand gets the machine. NO HOLDING!

Any other rules to live by that I've missed here? By the way, I already had 1-3 in my actual craigslist ad. #4 will be added very shortly.

...and just in case: (oops, sorry! Link deleted... just read the rules for this section. Never really come to this sub-forum that often)

dcreel
09-24-2012, 07:54 PM
5. Your pictures should be blurry and from at least 50 feet away, or 3 feet away and a blurry picture of a bolt.
6. Don't wash it, that will only earn you more money.
7. If you are selling tires DO NOT include the sizes of the tires or include pics that are legible to that end.
8. If you are selling wheels do not include the spacing or what vehicle they were on.. Its my job to drive to your house and figure that little stuff out.
9. Whatever the going rate for what you are selling is, double it.. Because you never know..
10. It's still possible for your bike to be in excellent shape if its dirty and doesn't run. I see it on the interwebz all the time.
11. If contacted from your Craigslist ad make them wait before you answer their inquiries.. It's alot like after a first date. We're building a relationship here..

kb0nly
09-24-2012, 11:58 PM
I disagree with Don't Wash It.. Seems like all of them spray it down with a hose to give it that shiny wet look.. And leave the hose close enough it ends up in the picture as well.... LOL

I hear ya on this though. I used to be first come first serve, but i got burned many times by no shows and drop outs also. So the rule i adopted when i have multiple people wanting an item is first come first serve but you got 24 hours, and if you schedule an appt and you miss it your voided. If you contact me you better be available within 24 hours, otherwise the next guy on the list gets called and so on and so forth til i work down the list.

My experience has always been the third or forth is usually the one that will actually show up and buy it. The first few are lookie lou's that are either not sure about buying or just trying to find a deal and want to dicker on the price to no end.

The last ATV i sold on CL i got a call so fast it made my head spin. I posted the ad, got up out of my chair and walked across the house to get a drink, while closing the fridge the phone rang, i was like WTF it cant be. Sure enough it was about the ad. He said i will be there tonight, i said ok you got 24 hours. He never showed up and sent me a text message five minutes before he was supposed to show up and said he decided not to. I had two more calls after him. Called the second back just before 8pm, later then i like to call people but the dude said call me back whenever possible. He said i be there first thing in the morning, it was Saturday, i said ok 24 hours. Morning comes and goes, i get three more calls on it, and i call him back get voicemail.. I said screw it i call the third guy since the second guy just invalidated the 24 hour rule by not showing up, and the third guy says i be right over its an hour drive. 45 mins later he pulls up... Hmm must have been in a hurry! And the third guy bought it.

I always delete the ad right after it sells, and any pending buyers get a call or text or email to let them know its sold, that i believe is common courtesy so they aren't waiting and wondering because i know that sucks worse than not getting the deal myself.

I honestly cant remember the last time i sold to the first person, or even the second person.... If it has even ever happened, i dont think it has.

dcreel
09-25-2012, 01:02 AM
I called some guy locally about an ad on Craigslist..no answer so I left a messsage and then sent a text. This was a couple weeks ago or more. I just now got a text back from this random number saying he still has it that he waited too long on a guy to sell his 4 wheeler..

My problem is that in the 1 to 3 weeks since I sent the first message I have cleaned out the unused texts in my phone, including his.. I have no idea what he was selling.. I googled the number to no end.. He was selling something I was interested in near St. Louis..

If I have forgotten about it, apparently I don't need it.. So maybe I'll wait a couple weeks and send him a reply.. lol

jb2wheels
09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
So here are my rules, with a new #4 added:
1. CASH ONLY!! I won't accept a check, especially for more money and then refund the difference... I'm not stupid.
2. If you want to come take a look, lets set up a time and keep it. I'm busy and don't have time to waste with no shows.
3. If you want me to meet you somewhere, I'll drive up to an hour from Livonia, MI 48150. I'll need $50 deposit via paypal. If you don't want the machine, I'll keep $20 for gas money (and time).
4. First to show up with cash in hand gets the machine. NO HOLDING!

I don't bother with #2 some unwritten rules

We never, ever meet at my home. Ever. Never. My wife and teenage daughter live here and I have a classic car and anywhere from 2-6 ATVs in the garage.
When we set a time and place to meet, I'll only be there during a 30 minute window.
The place is near my house or work and public and crowded.
I don't like to go alone but usually do now since my son left for college. But, I'm a big ol boy, well trained, and prepared to settle conflicts quickly, decisively and permanently ...
The time fits my schedule.
Lowballers get no answer or a polite no thank you depending on my mood. Then they're blocked forever.
I don't negotiate on the phone or text or e-mail. Same plan as lowballers.
I hate texting and I say so in my ad. Texter get slow response. Maybe none depending on response to my ad.

swampthang
09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I've been using Craigslist for about 3 or 4 years now. It's kind of one of those love hate relationships. When it works correctly it's the greatest thing, when it is a PITA its a PITA.:lol: I've bought almost all my atvs from people on Craigslist and I've sold alot too. Having to deal with the idiots just farthers my belief that the world will someday be over populated with them, hopefully I will be long gone by then but until then I have learned a few of there tricks.

I don't put my phone number on CL, Making them reply by email cuts the idiot ratio down quite abit. Seems like they are dumb founded by the emailing process. This stops the calls at all hours of the night, texting a landline, and the fools that just want to call and ask "What's your bottom dollar?" Although this opens the door to spam emails that only ask if you still have it? So just delete those emails. Also I do get the idiots that can email but do not provide any info, like I got a 3wheeler its a honda to trade. If you responde be prepaired to be strung along for many emails if you ask more then 1 question in a email . For some reason multiple questions in one email blows them away.

As for metting them somewhere I think thats a good idea. Problem is they don't show, are late, or do not want to buy after looking at it. So I wouldn't travel too far from home. I don't live close enought to travel anywhere to met anyone so they have to come to my house if I'm selling. My rules are they don't go into my garage I keep the door shut and I do not talk about other things that I have. I also have video surveillance of my property so If they do something foolish they will get a video copy of me beating there ass:D

Lowballers just ignore, if you know what your machine is worth so does the right buyer. You just have to wait for the guy that knows what he is looking at. I had a nice 350x for sale once and I had the price at $1200 firm. I had guys calling offering me $600 then tryed to talk me into believing that was all it was worth. I sold the X for $1200 and then when the guy called me back that offer $600 asking if I still had it I told him no I sold it for $1200 he was blown away. The lowballers know what its worth they just want to rip you off.

I have had a guy show up drunk with his son to look at a 3wheeler. He almost blew up my 250sx by holding it on the rev limiter. He seen my tri-z in the yard and told me it had a "hot dog rear end" ? not sure what that is but they did buy the sx.
I also had a guy drive 3 hrs in a 3/4 ton ram to look at some parts. The first think he said to me was "give me $10 for gas for coming this far" my reply was $10 aint going to help that truck much on gas. He knew my price was $250 for all the parts I had we descusted that on the phone. he offered $10 less the what I was asking so he went home empty handed.At that point I was already pissed at this losser. Pretty stupid IDK why he was so hell bent on $10 for he prolly wastes $75 in gas that day and had nothing to show for it. I fell no simpity for guys that show up then lowball me and go home empty handed. I didn't make them drive to my house to offer me a crappy deal.

rdlsz24
09-25-2012, 04:47 PM
I saw and heard it all when I was selling my TRX250R last month. I had lowball offers, trade offers even though I put in the ad NO TRADES at the top in all caps like that, and then again in the description. And then people would get offended when I didn't like their trade offer of a Blaster or CR125.

I also had guys wanting me to meet them half way, which I don't mind if they ask that but the answer is NO unless I know you from a forum, etc and know you won't stand me up. So when I say no to that then they wanted me to cut them a deal to basically pay for their gas. Are you kidding me?

I had people say they were on the way to the bank to get cash and then to my place that mysteriously never appeared. One guy said he was on his way to Uhaul to rent a trailer when he was on the phone with me. I'm guessing the trailer rental was too expensive because I never saw or heard from him again. Any time I hear from a guy that he IS COMING TO BUY IT TOMORROW (well right after he asks him wife), I know 9 times out of 10 they aren't buying lol.

Rob

Dave Little
09-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't put my phone number on CL, Making them reply by email cuts the idiot ratio down quite abit.

My experience has been just the opposite with this rule. I always put my phone number in the ad and leave no other way of contacting me through CL.
For the same reason as you have cited, the "idiot ratio"... It forces people to show who they are from the get-go. I never agree to meet anyone without first having a phone conversation. When you hear someone's voice, it tells you a tremendous amount of information; age, race, income level, you can take a couple really good guesses at profession, overall health, if the guy knows
what he's talking about, if he's a braggart, looser, test pilot, drunk, high, bad wiring, what have you. Knowing all these things helps you weed out the fraggles. I could go on and on...

I've never had a problem keeping people in line over the phone. I lay it all out for them to decide. I tell them that I do not hold anything, end of story. First with cash in hand to actually
arrive and have the ability to move the item is who I'll deal with- and I'll tell folks that. If a guy keeps talking about stupid bullsh*t that does not relate to the sale, I have no problem getting them back on track.
If a guy has to ask his wife for permission to buy, I'll usually start wrapping up the conversation with "well, alright it was good talking to you, I'll text you when it sells"
I'll even train people over the phone how they should be. If a guy asks me to wait for Friday when he gets paid, I'm like "nope, if you want something bad enough in life you'll find a way to make it happen" When people want a couple days to think about it, I'll come right out and ask them if they like Proverbs, then I'll start, "He who hesitates, has lost" Most people get it, and I try to not come off as rude, but direct and succinct. I have a short fuse when it comes to having my time wasted, a really short fuse. I don't believe in the time fairy, a close cousin of the tooth fairy... all your time that you allow others to waste is returned to you at some point during your lifetime. Right.

swampthang
09-28-2012, 11:36 AM
My experience has been just the opposite with this rule. I always put my phone number in the ad and leave no other way of contacting me through CL.
For the same reason as you have cited, the "idiot ratio"... It forces people to show who they are from the get-go. I never agree to meet anyone without first having a phone conversation. When you hear someone's voice, it tells you a tremendous amount of information; age, race, income level, you can take a couple really good guesses at profession, overall health, if the guy knows
what he's talking about, if he's a braggart, looser, test pilot, drunk, high, bad wiring, what have you. Knowing all these things helps you weed out the fraggles. I could go on and on...

I used to put my phone number down in the ad but I have gotten tired of the phone ringing off the hook all hours of the night even though I put a time to call in the ad. They just seem to not even read the ad. As you said you can tell alot about a person over the phone. I wouldn't make some kind of a deal with out speaking on the phone with them first. I like to think of the email first as a "prequalification" you pass this test you go to the next test the phone call.

When I speak to someone and they give the whole BS line about my life is hard and I don't have enough money to drive there, come down on the price, deliver it because I lost my license, my truck is a POS, etc,etc... I usually think to myself well buying a 3wheeler is a luxury item. You do not NEED a 3wheeler maybe you should use the money to get your life on track first.

I am also getting tired of seeing ads on CL that say DON'T EMAIL ME I WILL DELETE YOUR EMAILS!!!! People come on there is a single button you can click that disables others from emailing you.

captainweezy
09-28-2012, 01:57 PM
This needs to be a sticky! My absolute worst is when it says do not text me CALLS only right by the number....Of course they don't read that. As far as the phone calls in the night, I put my cell on silent, if a family emergency happens, the state police will come knock on my door. I'm very bitter about the text thing today especially, already had 2 text. If you are serious about something call me. This weeds out the idiots that are too damn lazy to actually talk to me. Last text messenger I had did end up calling me but was a time waster and tried to tell me his buddy just sold a 1987 350x. When i told him i will pay cash just to see it and had $5,000 to buy if its true today, there was a pause and he stumbled saying that well he doesn't know where its at now somewhere in Georgia. LMAO...Some people you just cant reach! O ya almost forgot, He said there was a crated 1987 atc250r on ebay for $100,000!
Dude that called me-if your reading this......No disrespect, It was just too damn funny not to share.

jon jon
09-28-2012, 04:30 PM
12. if it has a front bumper, so its officaly race ready
13. the motor is bored .20 over so its a 470
14. always keep the factory oil in it cause thats the good stuff
15. if it has valves then it must be a 2 stroke..
these are my favorite lol

swampthang
09-28-2012, 04:40 PM
This needs to be a sticky! My absolute worst is when it says do not text me CALLS only right by the number....Of course they don't read that. As far as the phone calls in the night, I put my cell on silent, if a family emergency happens, the state police will come knock on my door. I'm very bitter about the text thing today especially, already had 2 text. If you are serious about something call me. This weeds out the idiots that are too damn lazy to actually talk to me. Last text messenger I had did end up calling me but was a time waster and tried to tell me his buddy just sold a 1987 350x. When i told him i will pay cash just to see it and had $5,000 to buy if its true today, there was a pause and he stumbled saying that well he doesn't know where its at now somewhere in Georgia. LMAO...Some people you just cant reach! O ya almost forgot, He said there was a crated 1987 atc250r on ebay for $100,000!
Dude that called me-if your reading this......No disrespect, It was just too damn funny not to share.

I know how you feel about the text messages. They would text my home phone. You dont know how funny it is when you hear an automated voice read one of there stupid misspelled lowball offers.

The best is the certifed mechanics that come to school me on machines. Last guy tryed to act like he was freaking Einstein of the 3wheelers. After looking at various 200x/185/200 parts for about 15 minutes he ask me if it was 2 stroke:crazy: Then he said his friend that was a Honda mechanic had a 250r that was the baddest thing sense sliced bread. Then he says he sold it because it started to smoke.

jon jon
09-28-2012, 05:42 PM
^ bahahahahaha. this guy down the road had 400ex and the rings or valve guids were bad and it smoked really bad and he said it smoked cause it was a 2 stroke.. people these days huh

tri again
09-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Not uncommon for people to look at anything for sale and
then come back 'later' and steal whatever they want.

Esp if they can figure out when you're not home.

I like the paypal deposit idea and meet at a gas station.

Howdy
09-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Not uncommon for people to look at anything for sale and
then come back 'later' and steal whatever they want.

Esp if they can figure out when you're not home.

When we sell stuff on ebay we have our TV monitor on ( with a security camera rolling ) in plin view of the person coming in. If the person looks questionable ( eye movement, jestures, ect ) we will causually look up to the monitor with them nearby ( lets them know we have video security ). Some decide they don't want the item quickly and leave. VERY effective.
The camera they are allowed to see is not the ones inside. We don't want to give out the locaton of those.

Howdy