PDA

View Full Version : HID and ballast in an 84 ATC 125? possible?

lotust
09-25-2012, 09:10 PM
hey guys, Im a huge LED/HID guy, is it possible to replace the yellow high low beam with an HID system? I searched and did not find solid results. I know I have an "Part# 34901-HC3-003" bulb buy have not been able to see a direct fit. Maybe I can modify some sort of replacement to fit? any help would be sweet.

kb0nly
09-26-2012, 12:17 AM
It can be made to work...

1. The lighting output on them is AC voltage, so you would have to rewire and put in a rectifier/regulator to get DC power that the ballast would need.

2. Too much amperage... Most of these ballasts only draw about 5a after startup but they pull as much as 15a for a fraction of a second when firing up, the colder they are, aka a cold start, the more current they draw after starting. After warmed up you may only have a 3-5 amp draw which the electrical system can handle after converting it to DC, but to handle the startup surge your going to also need to add a battery.

Adding a battery isn't a big deal though, since you would already have to convert it to a DC system and then charge the battery off the new lighting circuit. It wouldn't have to be a huge battery though, a simple 7ah gel cell or a small motorcycle battery would be fine, after the HID is started the lighting coil output would be able to handle it.

I have put HID lights on everything from snowblowers to lawn tractors to go karts... You need a battery to handle the surge and also to help filter the DC input to the ballast.

Now if you went LED, which i have started doing instead, then all you need to do is convert to DC and wire up the lights, no battery needed, although it does reduce flicker due to varying engine speed.

DasUberKraut
09-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Someone should draw up a wiring diagram for us incompetent folk. :beer

Dynmore
11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
hey guys, Im a huge Peimar led (http://www.niceledlights.com)/HID guy, is it possible to replace the yellow high low beam with an HID system? I searched and did not find solid results. I know I have an "Part# 34901-HC3-003" bulb buy have not been able to see a direct fit. Maybe I can modify some sort of replacement to fit? any help would be sweet.

it is possible I think you need high ohm resistors

M.Pargiello
11-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I have led brake lights on my 200X, never had to swap. Works fine, but im probably missing something here

kb0nly
11-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Those little LED replacement bulbs work fine without any mods on your 200X, which is an AC lighting system, because they flicker so fast that the human eye can't detect it. But if you were to record some video of that led bulb at various engine speeds with say a high speed camera thats capable of seeing it you would see the led pulses with every revolution of the engine, with the frequency of the AC voltage being fed to it.

It's not as noticeable with a small bulb like that but on a large LED flood light on as a headlight and with the increased intensity you will see it.

M.Pargiello
11-30-2012, 07:29 PM
That makes sense, when idling you can catch a small flicker in it. Its not just a bulb though, its a whole replacement unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRoIDzq4vI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sammiefish
11-30-2012, 09:07 PM
After warmed up you may only have a 3-5 amp draw which the electrical system can handle after converting it to DC, but to handle the startup surge your going to also need to add a battery.

My '84 125m has a battery for the electric starter... although the lights work without the battery installed....
could that be used in this application?

DasUberKraut
11-30-2012, 10:31 PM
All these responses and not one person can draw a diagram and post it? :wondering