PDA

View Full Version : Just got an 85 Tri-Z with a "fresh rebuild" Seller totally lied

Citytrikeguy
09-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some questions answered about an 85 tri-Z I just traded. It supposedly had a fresh rebuild from clutch to top end. LIE! I drove 300 miles on his word alone that it was a mechanically solid bike. Lesson learned.
I could not really test ride it because he lived in a suburban area and this trike is chainsaw loud. Anyway what I know now after riding it: Runs decent and is easy to start. He said he put in a 50:1 mix so it smokes a bit. At least it runs well. The chassis is in decent shape shocks, brakes, tires, chain, lights, and cables. Plus it feels way faster than my friends water cooled 250R.

PROBLEMS:
1. Clutch slips. Can this be from using the wrong oil? Will I be able to determine if a new one is needed after opening it up?

2. The big one... First gear is strangely absent. When I ride it and downshift all the way to first gear something is there because it does engine brake. When I give it gas there is no drag at all. It acts as if it's in neutral. When it is not running there is a enough going on for there to be some drag when moving it. This as far as I can tell is reason enough to split the case and do some digging. A buddy of mine works in dirtbikes and honda 200x and 200S trikes so I won't be alone. What are your thoughts on what to look for. I have a manual for it.

3. When I ride it (rode hehe its too loud for staten Island streets ill get arrested) it the engine pulls hard through 2nd to 5th clutch slips..., If I am hard onthe throttle the engine will act like it is running out of fuel. If I'm not quick pulling in the clutch it will stall. It can be saved if I just feather the throttle on and off just above idle. If it stalls it starts right up if I keep it running it recovers and is ready for some more grin enducing acceleration :(until it acts like it's running out of gas again. This cycle repeats unless I ride it gently:drool:
Reading on about the fuel? Issue lead me to a few possible causes. Fuel pump diaphragm, vacume hoses, petcock screen, or lean jetting.

From what my friend says about the people in this forum you guys are very professional and very helpful. This is my first two stroke and I'm hoping I can get her running reliably some time soon.

Also it has a cobra header and a D&G silencer. I'm getting imy buddy to repack the silencer. I also have the D&G header, but it does not fit the silencer as well as the cobra. I am interested in trading someone a header and silencer for the stock header silencer. I prefer to have as quiet of a ride as possible. While if properly jetted the aftermarket pipes will give me more power I think it's plenty fast already.

Thank you
Gary

lotust
09-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Gary I'm sorry this is not help full to you but it sounds as thought you got rooked. I hope someone with more tech knowledge chimes in. Gl

Citytrikeguy
09-26-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm doing my research now. Yeah somehow karma will catch up to him. The new to me trike will get its TLC and some $$ injected. Thanks. Anyone with some advice?

Tri-Z 250
09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Alright sounds to me it runs...but the condition seems questionable, with the sale/seller. I would drain the bottom case RIGHT NOW. Its only about a quart or so...is it milky? Pull the kicker and take the case off inspect the clutch...while your at it. Pin the impeller after you inspect and replace seal. Most Z's will run with a blown seal...which blows the head gasket. Inturn the prior owner bores and replaces the piston. Problem being the broke $2 part will soon blow the gasket and eat another bore. I recomend not running your machine until you at least check the clutch. As far as 1st gear...might look for metal in the oil as well. I'm going to say shift fork is wasted or the gear is. Good thing winter is coming you might be looking at a nice project to keep you busy.
Check out www.CosmicQuads.com they got brand NEW plastic for ya!

RIDE-RED 250r
09-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Citytrikeguy: By any chance did you buy that Tri-Z through Craigslist from the Syracuse area?? It sounds identical to a Tri-Z my brother in law and I looked at a few months back, same identical problems particularly the 1st gear issue. The seller wanted no less than $1000 but we wouldn't give more than $400 for it and that wouldn't even have set well with me. I think that seller sold it to the guy you bought it from....

My thoughts on the 1st gear issue when I looked at it: Bad shift fork, or shift drum, or 1st gear/gears or a combination of these. I have only had experience with one wheeler that lost a gear. It was my cousins TRX 250r, 3rd gear would just grind. We took it apart and found a badly scored shift fork, but failed to catch that the gear hub the shift fork pushes on was scored as well. We installed a new shift fork and ruined that one within 3 minutes of running the quad. The next time we opened her up it got an entire good serviceable transmission and all was well.

If/when you get it apart far enough to inspect/diagnose the shift forks and transmission itself, look for scored shift fork fingers and scoring on gear hubs themselves.

I hope you can salvage that ol' Z. Wish I could have warned you about it ahead of time, but it is what it is. Keep us posted and welcome to 3WW!

Citytrikeguy
10-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Tri-250: Is the seal the water pump seal? I assume so just want to be sure. I have a question about the complete gasket kits that are available. Do they include seals also? Since I am splitting the case I want to do everything that can be done to ensure a long service life.
Ride Red 250R: I think this is the same one. I got it in Mexico NY. It has the rear plastics painted black and a black stripe down the center of the front fender.

Thank you both for your replies. I will be digging into the motor in the next couple weeks. Going to order a case splitter and a couple other tools and I will be ready to start. I'll start another post relating to what I find and very likely will be asking for help and leads on parts.

Tri-Z 250
10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
OK so your bottom end had a milkshake goo drain out I take it? The Waterpump seal is a seperate item..not considered a gasket. Look on the thread on how to pin the propeller it's a good home mod. I'd take it apart and not let it sit...even if you don't split the cases. Take the side cases off and clean it to the 9's. Put oil back in the center case if you store it(water rust/frozen cranks suck). Inspect your flywheel for moisture damage too. Take the top off and check the bore...flush the cooling system and clean the thermostat as well. Not knowing your level of motor building...I recomend the local Yamaha shop if your like me, traredown, maintance, topend sure...other than that I leave to an expert. Your thought of spending the $ now and building it right...will lead to a soild machine in the long run. Goodluck

RIDE-RED 250r
10-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Yep, Mexico NY is where it was for sale last....

Don't wander too far from this site when you start diggin in. This site is home to a great bunch of people with a wealth of knowledge on tap. Also, don't count the site out for parts sourcing either. Even though you don't have access to the classifieds yet, you could always post what in here that you are looking for certain parts if you are unable to source them elsewhere. I know most of the senior members check in here often...

I will be in the same boat as you soon. My brother (Ride_Red_Man) and brother in law (Beadle350x) each picked up a Tri-Z last week and I will be doing full tear-downs for inspection/repairs on each of their engines in the coming weeks. These will be my first Tri-Z tear-downs so I'll be right there with ya, learning something new!