PDA

View Full Version : What will I need to do first? ATC 110

Firsttrike
09-26-2012, 08:55 AM
First I would like to say hi to everyone. This is my first post and I am really looking forward to getting to know you all and learning about my new 3 Wheeler. Hopefully It won't take me long before I can contribute back and help other's who are starting out.

Okay so... A guy I work with told me about a mid 80's ATC 110 that he has and want's to get rid of. He did some research on on-line sale sites and decided to list it for 400. I mentioned that I would like to have it as a fun project to work on with my Son. We settled on $200 and I will be picking it up this evening. I know nothing about it. Not even specifically what year it is. (He says 84' or 85') The guy said it has a pin hole in the gas tank, a flat tire, and general wear and tear but is in overall okay condition. He says it starts on the first pull. Very importantly... he said it has been sitting behind his shed under a tarp for at least 10 years.

I am hoping you will help me put together a small list of the most important things that I will need to do first to save myself any big mistakes. My goal is to return it to very good condition and make it a safe, fun little toy.
After I pick it up an have a chance to go over it real good I will post further info and a few pics if I can.

I guess it is also important for you to know:
I am probably above average with mechanical ability but I have never owned any kind of atv and know little about it. I have always had a high level of interest in them so I know specs and stuff but nothing about maint or mechanical requirements.

Some specific questions I know I will have:
How to best clean and set the carb... Or should I just replace it.
Tires... sitting for 10+ yrs... assume they need to be replaced?
More to come no doubt :)

I am really looking forward to getting going on this project with my Son!

Thank you very much!

Big Mike
09-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Welcome to 3ww, there is a wealth of knowledge to be had here. First thing, I would do is go and download a repair manual so you can a frame of reference on how to do things: Right Click on link and choose save as: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/atc70-125_1985_and_earlier_servicemanual.pdf

The next thing to do is go through it from front to back, check all the brakes (pull them aparts look at linings and drums, look at the cables (probably just replace them all)), check out all bearings and replace any that have any amount of play. Once you get the chassis squared away, work on cosmetics (new plastics if it needs it, get the tank repaired or replaced), and do basic maintenance: oil change, new air filter, carb cleaning (or rebuild)

There is tons of parts available for the 110s, just gotta look around. One good site for 110 parts is: http://www.dratv.com/hondaatc90110.html

Firsttrike
09-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you for the info Big Mike. I appreciate the manual very much. It will be very helpful. I tried to check out your feedback thread but I'm not allowed in.
I had a chance to go over it a little bit and it will take a little work to get this thing into shape. (but then again I can be a little particular)
I will see if I can attach a few pictures so you guys can take a look at it.

Notes:
It starts on first pull. seems to run not to bad.
Brakes seem pretty tight.
Carb is dirty around connections but very clean inside.
air filter is completely missing.
Throttle works smooth
gears change fine.
OH!! there is one huge problem that I am worried about. I hope someone can help me figure out what the problem is. The Low/High gears switch is stuck in Low. Really stuck. Feels welded. I tried to open it up to take a look but all 4 screws are solid as rock. (SEE PIC below) Does anyone have any thougths on this that would be helpful? I would really appreciate it. I am concerned about it!
Thank you for any input you might have on anything you see or think about this.

Firsttrike
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
I can't seem to add this picture to the previous post so I guess I have to do it this way.
This is the Low/High gears switch I was talking about.

dustrunner
09-27-2012, 08:16 PM
welcome, and nice find.. that machine looks pretty good with little use.. well worth 200 $.. spray the hi-lo lever with pb blaster.. and let it sit and keep spraying it . pull the carb off and pull the bowl ( bottom of carb ) off and clean and see how the gaskets look... how is the tank ? the pin hole can be fixed with red kote if its not all rusty...

Firsttrike
09-27-2012, 08:57 PM
welcome, and nice find.. that machine looks pretty good with little use.. well worth 200 $.. spray the hi-lo lever with pb blaster.. and let it sit and keep spraying it . pull the carb off and pull the bowl ( bottom of carb ) off and clean and see how the gaskets look... how is the tank ? the pin hole can be fixed with red kote if its not all rusty...

Thank you! I appreciate the opinion on the machine and the advice. Yup! I have been using the PB throughout the day. No results yet (not good). I will pull the bowl tomorrow and update you with how it looks. I was hesitant to do it today as I assumed I would need a new gasket and I don't have one. The guy I got it from said he did not have any gas saver in it but he said he put new gas in it once in a while. He claims it never went dry. Hard to say what reality with that story is but the carb does look much better inside than I expected. It is nice and shiny clean except right around the rim where the hose attached. The tank looks pretty good. Tiny spots of rust in the far back corners on the inside. Overall though real good. Good call on the red kote! That would have been better than what I did... I used JB Weld this morning. It was one of the first repairs as the machine is in my garage and I wanted the gas smell to be gone asap.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Please keep them coming. I can use all the help I can get.
I am still especially concerned with the low/high gear switch. I wish I could get in there to look at it so I knew what I was dealing wtih.

wisconsinite
09-27-2012, 10:27 PM
that's a nice little bike, oem plastics in that good of shape can are not to common in my experience. what you need to remove the screws from the hi-lo lever is a hand held impact driver, the kind you put a screwdriver bit in and smack with a hammer . i know those levers can be stuborn, have you tried to move it while rocking the bike forward and back in gear, engine off?

Firsttrike
09-29-2012, 07:11 PM
that's a nice little bike, oem plastics in that good of shape can are not to common in my experience. what you need to remove the screws from the hi-lo lever is a hand held impact driver, the kind you put a screwdriver bit in and smack with a hammer . i know those levers can be stuborn, have you tried to move it while rocking the bike forward and back in gear, engine off?

No I didn't try that. Can't now as the bike is all torn down. Not sure what tool your talking about but what about an air compressor powered Impact wrench?

wisconsinite
09-29-2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html

here's a link to the tool i mean. this is just an example, you can get one at almost any store with a decent tool department, sears, fleet farm, etc. i definitely would not use an air impact wrench. this type you hold in your hand and smack with a hammer. this drives the bit into the screw so it won't slip, the jarring effect also helps to loosen it. with each hit, it will turn a 1/4 turn or so. a must have for those phillips case screws.

muthey
09-29-2012, 11:08 PM
I usually use a vise grip on screws like that, I will take everything off that is in the way of getting the grips on it, then a quick turn and the screws come right off, let me know if you need parts, I have a 84 110 that I am parting out, the top end is toast and I have enough projects, I just picked up a 1972 starcraft pop up camper that is taking precedence right now. I do have the airfilter foam, but I do recomend getting new from a dealer or e-bay, but if you don't want to go that way let me know, also my hi- low switch is in good condition as well.

tri again
09-30-2012, 02:09 AM
x2 on the hand held impact driver for sure.
The 1/2" drive version has never let me down, but I Have broken a few bits so get a couple extras, like #2 and 3 phillips, I think. 50 cents each from Napa.

It has a cam in it and you turn the handle the way you want the screw to go,
it rides up over the internal cam so when you smack it,
it drives the bit into the screw head and also turns it the way you want it to go..usually out.

Practice on a few regular screws in a 2x4 and it will be very obvious.

Also had a couple hi lo levers rusty and stuck.
After a few weeks of soaking, I just tapped them back and forth
a little bit every day with a light hammer.
I forget if there's anything in there that heat might ruin.
As I recall, just 2 gears and a shift fork.

Pipe or wrench leverage might just twist it off.

Hi range is less jumpy than low but even with new parts, it's an easy fix.
I walk around all new trikes with liq wrench or whatever and hit anything and everything.
Even drool a few drops down the cables may bring them back to life.

Sounds like you're well on your way.

Search key may work for you and give you tons of info in one shot.

Pls keep us posted.
and try to resist the urge to put your feet down while it's rolling.

Firsttrike
09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html

here's a link to the tool i mean. this is just an example, you can get one at almost any store with a decent tool department, sears, fleet farm, etc. i definitely would not use an air impact wrench. this type you hold in your hand and smack with a hammer. this drives the bit into the screw so it won't slip, the jarring effect also helps to loosen it. with each hit, it will turn a 1/4 turn or so. a must have for those phillips case screws.

Thank you! I looked in Lowe's, sears, and a hardware store. Nothing. I'm going to just order from harbor freight. I appreciate the info.

Muthey - thanks for the offer. I may take you up on some parts. How is your exhaust? Or the rear chrome pull bar. I also need a tire for the front. Will be getting a new one this week if I can't find a used one in nice shape. No doubt I will need something from you related to the low/high gears. My switch feels like it is welded lol. To much pressure just bends the switch arm.

Tri again - thanks for the additional info. Yeah I hope it's an easy fix. I'm anxious to see inside it.

kb0nly
10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
You get that impact and get those screws out and i bet you just find some rust and sludge and the shifter is seized for the hi/lo. I just dealt with that on one last spring. I took it all apart and got everything soaked in PB Blaster and i got it all worked loose.

Firsttrike
10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
You get that impact and get those screws out and i bet you just find some rust and sludge and the shifter is seized for the hi/lo. I just dealt with that on one last spring. I took it all apart and got everything soaked in PB Blaster and i got it all worked loose.

I hope so! That wood be good news. I think you might be right. I talked to the guy I got if from today and he said it was not any specific "event" that caused it to stop working. He jsut went to move the switch one time and it was frozen.

j68nm9
10-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Nice...

That brings back memories. My first trike was blue 110... 1983, I believe.

Firsttrike
10-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Nice...

That brings back memories. My first trike was blue 110... 1983, I believe.
Cool! This one is 83 as well.

UPDATE for everyone.
The tool arrived. It worked like a charm. All the screws came right out nice and easy. Great tool!!!
The inside of the low/high gear case was perfectly clean, well lubed, and nothing was broken. I was very happy to see that. Being able to see inside gave me the courage I needed to work the switch loose. I kept using the pb blaster and tapping with hammer. It came loose and now works fine. Doesn't slide real easy with no effort but you wouldn't want it to do that. It needs to be tight I would think.

This little trike seems to be in pretty good mechanical condition. I keep looking for something to fix but I just can't really find anything.

Irideon3wheels
10-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Good Find! Every thing i pick up seems to be about the same story and condition, siting under a tarp or in a shed for YEARS but everything is almost perfect. Plastics good,insides clean, starts first pull, all it needs is some gas, a spark plug, and a carburator cleaning. Its amazing that Honda's inovation from back in the day make these run like a champ almost 30 years later! Owe and:welcome:

Firsttrike
10-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Update: (bad news)
Everything seems to be in good order. It runs surprisingly well. No smoke no problems that I know of. I will need to adjust the brakes (they started squeaking) and the engine has a slight miss so I assume I need to adjust the points? Anyway... all is well except... now the bad news.
My wife has become extremely extremely extremely against having it. I am going to have to say goodby to it. It is just not worth her being so unhappy. Will have to find something a little more stable (safe for the youngsters). But anyway.. don't want to ramble about that here. I will see if I can find the classifieds section.
Thank you to all of you who helped with my questions. I really enjoyed being here, it was fun.

Irideon3wheels
10-13-2012, 08:32 PM
aww man that is just a bummer. i was hoping for finished pictures and a post of how well it runs and you love it. id be getting me a tiny four wheeler for the little kids and saying "dont be touching that now" to fix the problem but the worlds different maybe its because she heard one day "those are the most dangerous vehicles in the world" and saw you messing with one and got scared. nevertheless good luck on your next project

Firsttrike
10-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks. Yeah she is really disturbed about the chance of my son who is old enough to get it running hoping on it and ending up in a body cast or something. Give me a minute here and I will post some pics of it as finished as it will get.

Okay. Here you go...