PDA

View Full Version : Wow brand new 88 trx250r!

honda200x1987
09-26-2012, 02:06 PM
I really wish Honda would build an anniverary 250R with all the exact designs 0f the 86 87 or 88 and they could add the new technology if they wanted but the 80's tech was just fine in my book. This is a true definition on a MINT bike, this 1988 TRX250R has never had gas in it and is brand new! I am curious to see what the winning bid brings, just jaw dropping. He also has a near perfect 86 200X listed. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Honda-Fourtrax-TRX-250r-Brand-New-Condition-MINT-Never-Started-Run-/251157705908?pt=ATVs&hash=item3a7a2a74b4

ezmoney1979
09-26-2012, 02:33 PM
That is unreal. I wish I had the coin. Amazing.

crazyflights
09-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Looks great, but I dunno?? It could be a perfect restore.

honda200x1987
09-26-2012, 04:56 PM
I highly doubt it is a restored machine, he has the dealer tag hanging from the handle bars and the original paper work from the dealership. I have looked at the pictures closley and I have not spotted any flaws so it looks to be legit to me. It will be interesting to see the final bidding because all the retro bikes have really been going up in price and popularity.
Looks great, but I dunno?? It could be a perfect restore.

bkm
09-26-2012, 05:17 PM
I remember during the "Crated 250r" craze a while ago someone said there was a guy who built two TRX's out of all NOS parts and was trying to pass them off as new out of the crate machines. I wonder if this is one of them? This may not be one but the chain being off of the bike is what reminded me. Those bikes also had the chains off IIRC.

EDIT: I went back and found that thread and those bikes were out of Michigan and the description didn't match this bike. I would love to know the history of this bike though.

atc007
09-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't know the exacts on that fiasco. But the 89,was a complete farse. That,I do remember. This bike appears absolutely legit to me.

bkm
09-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't know the exacts on that fiasco. But the 89,was a complete farse. That,I do remember. This bike appears absolutely legit to me.Yeah Bill I agree. I went back and re-read it and the two bikes that were mentioned had used parts on them and this one doesn't seem to match any of those descriptions.

atc007
09-26-2012, 06:57 PM
I just remember clearly in my mind,how clearly that 89 stood out as used. And he was saying it was Never set up. Really bad deal.

bkm
09-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I knew it was an ebay deal but couldn't remember any of the details other than the no chain similarities with this one. Just reading Andy's description of those bikes I didn't even need to see the pics to tell this is not one of those bike.

This is one true Gem and as far as I'm concerned the sexiest four wheeled atv ever made. Others might not agree and that is fine because its simply my opinion, but I feel that no other quad has been able to match the mystique that this bike created.

atc300r
09-26-2012, 07:21 PM
This along with the crated 250r would be a nice set to own.Just dreaming LOL.

Mr. Clean
09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I would love to know the history of this bike though.

I will inquire with the seller as to how much information he is willing to disclose about the history.

I agree that the 88 & 89 TRX 250r are the best looking quads made.

bkm
09-26-2012, 08:01 PM
I will inquire with the seller as to how much information he is willing to disclose about the history.

I agree that the 88 & 89 TRX 250r are the best looking quads made.Thank you sir. One can only dream of days gone by lol. I hope a deal off ebay isn't made because I would really like to see what it sells for but I wouldn't blame the seller for one second if he avoided all the ebay B.S.

I remember when I was younger like 11 or 12, my dad had a buddy that worked at a local Honda dealer and they had a '89 still new on the showroom floor so this was probably 1990 or so. He tried to get my dad to buy it and they wanted $2000 for it and my dad asked his buddy if he thought he was made out of money. lol

We had just bought my '86 250r and I remember sitting on that '89 thinking man this thing feels big with that extra tire. It was the first quad I had ever sat on.

Buster Brown
09-27-2012, 04:02 AM
The seller is not Scott from MI, but that '88 is Scott's resto work. Another awesome assembly of NOS parts.
Don't take my word though....
http://www.trx250r.net/forum/lounge/17171-time-machine-back-1988-a-3.html

bkm
09-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I guess my original suspicions were correct. I didn't have any prior pictures to go off and the description in the other thread was about the '89. The location also threw me off and since he was trying to get 85k back then out of both of those bikes I figured he still had them.

I guess I should have listened to my gut and knew it was to good to be true.

Thanks for clearing that up Andy. I knew that bike not having a chain on it sounds awfully familiar, but I didn't have any previous pic's to go off of and I'm not versed enough with these bikes to pick up on the small stuff.

Donzi26zx
09-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Did he end the auction because people were catching on that it was not a new bike from the factory?

atc007
09-27-2012, 02:10 PM
He NEVER said that : ) He was VERY careful with his wording. Very deceptive,yes,,but he never said,that I saw,it was brand new. Pretty quad!

bkm
09-27-2012, 02:38 PM
He NEVER said that : ) He was VERY careful with his wording. Very deceptive,yes,,but he never said,that I saw,it was brand new. Pretty quad!He was contacted by the high bidder and got pissed when he called it a restoration. See post #13
http://www.trx250r.net/forum/lounge/17171-time-machine-back-1988-a-2.html

honda200x1987
09-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Looks like you guys were right, it must be a resto, the one thing I saw right off the bat was the seat. I have seen NOS seat covers for the 88 on eBay in the past and it was most likely recovered . A true NOS seat would set flush against the fuel tank and the seat appears to be buckled up from years of riding, all the seats with plastic pans do that. He should just be honest because it is a supurb resto and could still get some serious coin but with all the backlash now he would be lucky to sell it.

Beerside
09-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Yup, I was skeptical right off the bat. The #1 giveaway is the seat. I have a low hour really nice '88 trx 250R and my seat like everyone elses sticks up a little bit off the gas tank. At first I thought the seat pan was bent up but after buying a brand new seat from Honda several years ago (when they sold them with black covers) it still stuck up. I've since learned that after sitting a 150 to 250 pound person on the seat and perhaps taking a couple of landings on it that the subframe slightly bends down and causes this issue. Brand new TRX's didn't come from the factory this way. Also the rear brake pedal isn't supposed to be a shiny black paint or powder coat. It's black anodized. As as is the rear grab bar on many machines. I don't know why this guy needs to try to act dumb about the condition because I don't mind if it's been restored. It's a very nice machine, just say so and I'm sure it would still fetch a nice amount.

TatTooL23
09-28-2012, 12:13 AM
drooool..... i agree with the opinions that this is the hottest quad ever made..... i have to add one to my collection......