PDA

View Full Version : Road Side Find 185S

JGW3
09-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Picked up a 1982 185S off of the side of the road yesterday for 100 bucks. Been in a barn for a couple of years but its all there and seems to be in really good condition. Im going to need all new cables (frozen) but the brake actuators and carb move freely. It spent the night at a buddies house so I will post some pics later. I do know that I am going to need a seat however, even the pan on it is trash. Does anyone have nice pan for this bike laying around for sale?

Thought i'd share the story with you guys too. While my friend and I were talking to the old guy with the bike for sale some red neck drove up. He got out of his Astro Van loaded with crap and just walked up and said "does it run?". The old guy tried to explain to him it had been sitting for a couple years and the guy hopped on the bike like he owned it and started yanking the pull rope. The old guy said its not going to start, and the red neck babbled some crap about why he thought it would. Then he yanked the handle off of the pull rope and we all watched as the rope disappeared in the housing. We all just looked at him like he was an idiot. He tossed the handle onto the rack and got back in his Astro van and drove away. So then of course we talked for ten minutes about how each of us "should of" whipped his ass and so and so fourth. Then with a big smile on my face I told the old guy that I'd give him a hundred bucks because I have no way of knowing if the engine locked up or not because the pull handle is gone! He started to say you saw that son of a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro pulling it and started to laugh and said load it up your the only one who is going to believe its not locked up! The old guy was awesome, I really hope that I run into him again sometime. We could of sat there and talked with him for days!

dustrunner
09-30-2012, 03:56 PM
sweet, great story.. hope you get it going soon. good luck..

Keepah Rolln
10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Good score..Post a pic

JGW3
10-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I must be doing something wrong but each time I try to upload a picture it just shows a bunch of computereze! I clicked the image tab above and then followed directions for getting the pic off of my computer vs an URL. Any advice?

JGW3
10-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Why didnt it tell me it was going to work??? Anyhow that's it. I got the pull start removed tonight and man do I have questions about that too. I pulled it off and everything in the pull start itself looks good and little to no wear. The basket (its what I'm calling it) that is bolted onto the bike does show a good bit of wear. Also the cable for the compression release was not connected I found it tucked behing the engine. As a matter of fact they had put a rubber grommet into the top of the pull start and siliconed it in. I am assuming that is where the compression release enters the pull start. But I am absolutely clueless as to where it connects inside. I also have never messed with a pull start before and that big pile of spring that used to be inside is pretty intimidating! Some good advice would be really appreciated.

And just incase I havent mentioned it already, this site is awesome! I am really new to this and all the information here is unbelievable!

kb0nly
10-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Check my signature area below for a link to manuals server, get the service manual it has pictures of the recoil that should answer your questions better than i could describe it.

Looks like a nice project!

JGW3
10-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks! I already downloaded it. Was a great help, acutally saw the link the day I bought it. But I do have another question... the engine has a compression release with a cable the manual and the parts diagrams show mine to be equipped with a lever operated compression release. Pretty sure the compression release will make things a ton easier so I would like to have one functioning but which type do I need. I have no idea whether the engine, head, compression release or the pull start has been swapped off of this bike. Where do I find the engine number to first make sure I even have the original engine in it?

kb0nly
10-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Chances are someone swapped on a later model recoil and thats why the cable isn't connected to it, the compression release recoil starters are one thing that always seemed to be bad on these when i got one to work on. You could remove the cable at the head and replace that lever with the later style that you flip up by hand.

The earlier models had the compression release built into the recoil, when you pulled the recoil it pulled the decompression cable to make it easier to spin over, and yes it does make it easier.

In the mean time, remove the cable from the lever up on the head so that you can lift the lever up before you spin it over with the recoil, it will still work as a manual compression release.

suzyq1
10-02-2012, 09:48 PM
to funny i know some people like the guy in the van heck i might work with him! nice find i just picked up a 82'honda 200atc for 20$had it runing with another 20$ now im on to resto and mods.good luck with the seat pan tho folks know they are golden if they r in good shape!

JGW3
10-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Suzyq1,
What is stamped on your cylinder at the bottom rear where it meets the crank case? Does it say 180CM by any chance?