PDA

View Full Version : stator/flywheel problem

suzyq1
10-02-2012, 09:41 PM
hi all,not actually a new member but never posted (i dont think) picked up a 1982 honda 200 plain jane pull start for 20$ cleaned tank new carb oil plug grounds(lots of dirt and wasp nests)slapped a fleabay carb on and pulled till my arm was out of socket (super hard to start at first)figured it was rusty had to break it loose.finally got her running would start up on third or fourth pull fairly easy.took a couple of long rides over 2-3 weeks all was well.she sat for several weeks.hard to pull start weak spark.ordered new cdi,plugwire and primary coil.checked spark after intsalling cdi and new plug and wire. spark looks stronger(good n blue)now im down to soldering on the primary coil.ordered puller(saved lots of hissy fits good tool)got flywheel off... ta da i think i found my pull start binding problem not in the recoil as i thought at all .the wire metal guard that keeps the stator wires out of the way had evidently got in the way and chipped part of it off, it logged in between two of the magnets, fished it out but it had scarred up up the magnets a bit.i sanded the rust out of it and tried to buff the scratches out smooth etc. here is my question the magnets looked really worn almost flush.checked flea bay price was a bit high,will it still give decent enough spark for me to not have to pull my arm if i put it back together or should i replace it while i have it all apart putting on the new primary coil.being nearly 40 and 140 pounds easy starting with the pull start is pretty important.oh and something else when i had it running and would kill it if she wasnt started for more than 3 days she would only fire up after rolling her forward or back words at random distances(not sure what that was about).any input would be greatly appreciated tips etc.i started off buying what santa didnt bring me when i was 5 a honda 70 trike then 3 more hondas found their way to my shop along with 3 quads,i tinkered with them and they run.this trike is the biggest of them all so of course i enjoy it best!(when it runs)if it would be as reliable as my 110 honda atc id be a happy camper.thanks in advance for your input and help.love this site!

suzyq1
10-27-2012, 06:56 AM
new coil and zoom zoom carb fixed problem but i think the recoil spring is still broke doesnt recoil every time now but is much easier to start.word to everyone tho my 83 atc is same stator and wiring so swapped things around till finally found the wire from primary ignition coil was broken inside the casing just soldered in a jumper,but when taking apart my 110 stator i found an old retaining clip from the recoil bound up and catching on the magnets and some foreign peices of metal on the magnets,so checking and removing them both was a good thing

dnoftz
10-29-2012, 10:04 AM
new coil and zoom zoom carb fixed problem but i think the recoil spring is still broke doesnt recoil every time now but is much easier to start.word to everyone tho my 83 atc is same stator and wiring so swapped things around till finally found the wire from primary ignition coil was broken inside the casing just soldered in a jumper,but when taking apart my 110 stator i found an old retaining clip from the recoil bound up and catching on the magnets and some foreign peices of metal on the magnets,so checking and removing them both was a good thing

You got a heck of a deal

kb0nly
10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Good deal! Another one revived...

sp8twn
10-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Great deal!!!

RHschecter
11-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Sounds like you have a good handle on things. To fix your recoil starter retract issues I would reccomend rewinding it with a few more turns. I break ropes every couple days so it takes me all of 5 minutes to rewind one. I learned how to do it from this Youtube Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5H2zjPcFTo I also reccomend buying new stators if you have weak spark. You can get them pretty cheap.

Another thing I have found to work well with the knock off carbs is clean the OEM jets out and use them in the new body. Tends to run a little better.

muthey
11-04-2012, 11:35 PM
here is a great vid for you to watch that is a complete tear down and rebuild of a metal drummed pull start, which is what you should have on your 200, it even shows how to re spring the main spring. It hasn't had very many veiws, but is better than most I have seen out there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqsNu6xY3Jg&feature=plcp