PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200x kickstarter low compression feeling?

jwilz
10-04-2012, 09:34 PM
First time posting, just registered on the site. Been using tips and such on here for a lil while now and figured i should join. Anyway, long story short, I got a 1984 200x of my buddy this past winter. It was in decent shape but had not ran in a while. After tooling around on it a lil bit i decided to do a full restoration. Just mounted the engine last week. Basically all i got left is the swingarm n rear. Back to the point, I noticed when kicking it over (i dont have the wiring harness hooked up so just turning the engine), when i kick it its pretty stiff resistance like a good compression feel and then the imediate next kick is like nothing. Back and forth and back and forth it will go from stiif to nothing, stiff to nothing. Does anyone have an idea of what the cause could be.I did new rings, valves, gaskets, etc. I haven't had it running yet so i havent adjusted the timing, and the valves could probably use a lil more adjusting. Those are the only 2 things i can think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long!! 1st post!! lol

yaegerb
10-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Stiff to.nothing could be as simple as being on compression stroke vs not being on compression stroke. What do you mean by "nothing"? Nothing as in you could turn it over with your hand?

jwilz
10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
yea. actually when i was first doing it i was pushing it by my hand with a lil decent amount of force repeatedly the same and realized i didnt have the plug in. put that in then i have what i have now. i was thinking it could just be on the stroke and off and not be an issue but i figured i'd check with someone who is more familiar with 200x's and could say if that is normal, I know on my bike its a cosistent resistance each time i kick. I really only have kicking over 2 strokes in recent memory to compare it to.

yaegerb
10-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Wire it up, set the valves and timing and see what it sounds like when/if it fires....then we can go from there

jwilz
10-04-2012, 10:19 PM
yea... sounds like the plan. I'll be sure to post when i do. I gotta get some pics up too. The before and after is like night and day. thanx 4 the advice