PDA

View Full Version : 85 Tri-Z first gear issue

Citytrikeguy
10-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I have an 85 5-speed Tri-Z 250 with a few issues so I'm posting one issue at a time. The transmission is not right. On a stand I can find neutral and spin the tires by hand. One click down and I can"t sounds normal right? When the trike is running I can find neutral again then I get nothing one click down. :wondering:wondering. I can start out in second gear and run through the rest of the gears. The odd thing is that if i downshift into first while im going and let out the clutch it engages enough to engine brake, but if i give it any throttle the motor runs as if there is no resistance. I can leave the clutch out in first gear and it will not stall. Any ideas?:eek:
I ordered a case splitter today and would like to know if this is anything that has been heard of or dealt with in the past. I have rebuilt engines in the past just never a transmission or a ATV motor. It would be a good head start to have a few suggestions as to what to look for as i dig into this engine. In the least hunting season is starting soon and I will be grounded for a while. My buddy and I will be :beer and hammer when my tools arrive.

TimSr
10-05-2012, 07:42 AM
You probably wont be able to know anything until you get the cases split. Sounds like the side knubs on one of the gears is rounded off. Good news is 5 speeds are a dime dozen because they are typically indestructable.

Citytrikeguy
10-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Thank you TimSr. I did find one sure fire issue. The change lever assembly was badly bent. So bad I needed a drift pin to knock it through the case. I'm ordering a new one for $40. I had to call ot a day necause the case is not splitting easily amd i dont want to force it. Im using a tusk case splitter. A fresh approach might help me to find something I might have missed. I we t through step by step in the manual and methodically labelled and bagged items together. One thing not clear in the photo in the manual is where to set up the splitter. I have it over the crank shaft on the kickstart side and I have the three arms as widely spaced as possible. Is there a trick or a commonly missed item I should know about?