PDA

View Full Version : 250r reeds.. Gap tolerance question

Mack
10-05-2012, 01:11 AM
I read somewhere on here that the gap between the reed petals and the cage should be very minimal if any gap at all. First off... Is this true and if so what is the tolerance? Took them out this morning and I probably have around a 32nd inch gap. I notice that my engine surges when its idling almost a pulsing kind of rev. could this be the culprit?

If So, would there be any reason why I couldn't unscrew the petals and flip them over to eliminate them being stressed open too much?

Thanks guys, Mack

TimSr
10-05-2012, 07:24 AM
If So, would there be any reason why I couldn't unscrew the petals and flip them over to eliminate them being stressed open too much?

Thanks guys, Mack

I do it every time I'm in there and notice a gap beginning to form.

Mack
10-07-2012, 12:18 AM
So I flipped my reed petals today and ended up with less than 2 thousands of a gap. The engine idles perfect, better than it has since I bought it. However, now it doesn't want to do anything past idle. when i rev it up a few times, or take off riding, it bogs out and dies and then won't start for awhile. I haven't done anything to allow more fuel into the mix. all jets and needle position are at the factory settings, bike is stock, and air fuel screw is at factory setting. any ideas?