PDA

View Full Version : Hey, a newbie here

Newfie
10-05-2012, 06:46 AM
My friend just picked up a dx 225, the bike smokes but besides that it works fine. He got it for $180. We are gonna change out the rings to see if that solves the smoking issue. I was wondering if anyone would know or have on hand the torque specs for the con rod bolts, and cylinder head and such, the valve clearances, and how to set the rings in this engine.

Thanks for any info.

dustrunner
10-05-2012, 12:33 PM
welcome, just a thought. are you gonna tear into the bottom end ? connecting rod and crank ? the rings can be installed easily be removing the piston pin that goes thru the piston and then replace the rings and or piston if need be.. most of the time i have found on honda's the oil seals at the top of the valve is bad causing the oil to seep into the piston area...= smoking... but as long as you have it aprts i would re-lap the valves and possibly new rings.. take a good look at the cyclinder for scratches and such..hope this helps and good luck..

t350x
10-05-2012, 06:22 PM
I m with the previous idea it prolly is valve seals it almost always is especially if it sat for a while my machine did the same thing Iut a new piston and rings to find no change, so I rebuilt the head new seals and lapped the valves and it's perfect I've seen it a dozen more times since