PDA

View Full Version : 200x sprocket opinions

jwilz
10-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Putting my '84 200x back together and i'm at the point when i'm assembling the rear. My drive sprocket is shot teeth worn to hell so i figured i'd change it up. I know theres a few different ways you can go with the setup and # of teeth on the sprockets. I last rode a 200x when i was about 12 so i can't say i exactly remeber the bottom end/ top end power. Just curious as to what some current 200x riders are running and prefer. Any tips welcomed--trailpro

jwilz
10-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Any help? Any?? I know people usually go with 13t in the front or 36t (i think 36) in the rear to get more top end. I am just wondering if thats how these things ride stock like they have plenty at the bottom and need more at the top? Or what. Cus i like having alot of bottom end torque on my bikes and such but have no knowledge on how 200x's feel stock. Anyone go 11t front and larger rear? Or is that not common and unecessary?

yaegerb
10-05-2012, 10:37 PM
12 front and 40 rear is the stock set up. Are you going to be doing any motor modifications? If not, leave it stock. That tooth count is the perfect blend of low end torque and upper end speed.

If you are modifying the motor, well then you can change and we can talk more :)

jwilz
10-05-2012, 10:43 PM
.5mm oversized piston, intake, and exaust are the only not stovk parts so far-- so not really much. Just getting it back to running and pretty much stock intially then will prob do more down the line. Just gotta get a new drive sprocket so figured i'd look into it.

yaegerb
10-05-2012, 10:48 PM
If you want a little more top end, go to a 13/36, but I don't think with the light engine mods you have done that you will benefit from gearing. Again, I would leave it stock.

jwilz
10-05-2012, 10:54 PM
im sure i'll eventually be going to smaller rear tires. Hopefully sooner than later depending om $$. I read thats when gearing up comes into play