PDA

View Full Version : 185S Fork Swap... Feedback and opinions welcome!

JGW3
10-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Ran across a 200X frame and front end on CL for about 80 bucks. It got me thinking it would look pretty cool on the 185S and end half of the rigid suspension problem;) But I have big ideas and little bits of knowledge. So how do find out if a 200X front end will fit, how will it effect ride hieght and would keeping the hydraulic brake from the 200X be over kill for my bike? Frankly I just like the way the 200X forks and tree look and that is the sole reason for wanting it over one from say a 200ES or something. Let me have it, what does everyone think about this and how would it work.

RapidRick
10-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Take a look at this http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3318878276.html

you might want to save the pics although that trikes been on the market for months

A 200X stem is about 3/4 shorter that the 185s stem however I've heard that some have had it lengthened to make up the difference.

JGW3
10-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks that is pretty much what I figured it would look like. Wonder how hard it would be to lengthen the stem. Looking at it I am guessing the only part that would need lengthening would be the stem where it passes through the frame. Also I am guess that piece would be steel, wonder how it comes out of the aluminium base of the tree? If it came out easily I am sure that the stem would be something I could take to any machine shop and say "make me one 3/4" longer. Sure would like to know how that bike handles too, I am sure that without lifting the rear and the addition of longer forks it dramatically changes the camber on the front. May feel like steering a bike with the handle bars turned around. Who knows??? I think I am quickly becoming that guy that has to screw with everything and hoping to have some fun with it along the way!

RapidRick
10-07-2012, 11:46 AM
200x stem is clamped to the bottom triple, loosen the nut and drive/press it out. Remember that the addition will have to be the same OD as the remainder of the stem.

Here's another http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/3321253841.html