PDA

View Full Version : 200x Valve noise?

Z_Silas
10-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Hey guys. I have a '85 200x and it makes a really loud ticking sound whenever you run it. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure its coming from the valves. I checked them with a feller gauge and they are set. Also I set the cam tension-er which didn't seem to do anything. It runs great and doesn't seem to be lacking power. Any advice??

shortline10
10-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Mobil 1 four stroke synthetic oil for motorcycle wet clutches helps but valve rattle is normal on a 27 year old 200x .
The head is prob worn at the cam bushings so unless you want to replace the head ?

kb0nly
10-06-2012, 10:22 PM
All the 200's sound like a sewing machine, they just all do. The only thing you can try is a new cam chain and new tensioner, that quiets them down a bit, but otherwise they all sound like that. I know guys that put a whole new top end on, ran quiet as can be, until the cam wore in a bit then the noise came back.

Check your tensioner though, with the engine off remove the small bolt in the top of the tensioner adjustment, then loosen it, push a small screwdriver down in and see if you can push it down and it comes back up. A 3mm screw down into the tensioner works to pull it up as well, they get jammed and won't move sometimes.

Z_Silas
10-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks. Na I think I'll pass on replacing the head haha. I was worried It might be hurting it to run like that. And I'll definitely look closer at the tensioner.