PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for removing head studs?

Kasper1974
10-06-2012, 11:21 PM
I have been trying o remove the head studs on the jug for my 250R but have had no luck. I have tried heat, penetrating lube, and brute force but all to no avail. Anybody have any tips to help me out here?

Mack
10-07-2012, 12:08 AM
This is just a thought, but try putting two of the nuts on one stud and loosen the lower nut back up into the higher one. tighten the top one as you loosen the lower one until they're jammed together. then just crank on the lower nut with an open ended wrench and the studs should break loose from the jug. Good luck. let me know if it works

Kasper1974
10-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I was kinda thinking about doing that and am going to have to because its my last resort at this point. Just worried about breaking them off. Thanks for the help.

just ben
10-07-2012, 10:01 AM
heat has never failed me pulling head studs.How much did you heat it? and what did you use? did you heat the stud or the cylinder? The way I remove them: put the cylinder in a vise, heat the cylinder around the stud using mapp gas (a small propane torch wont heat it fast enough and a cutting torch is a bit risky) You really have to give it some heat,then I lock on a set of vise grips as close to the cylinder as possible. back the stud out an 1/8-1/3 of a turn then tighten it again. work it back and forth a few times so the threads don't come out with the stud.I am willing to bet you didn't give it enough heat. The double nut idea may work but you will still need heat to break the stud free and turning the stud up high like that you are more likely to twist the stud right off,then you will have bigger problems.

Kasper1974
10-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I used propane and had it in the vise and used visegrips as well, this has worked for me in the past. Guess I'll go get some mapp gas and try that.