PDA

View Full Version : 200x CDI help

jwilz
10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
putting my 84 200x back together and i noticed that the clymer manual i have has the CDI unit as being the 2 square hook-up with 4 in one square and 2 in the other square. On my bike i have the oval with pins 2x3 in line. I believe the manual has that as 200s, es, and maybe a couple others. So i checked online and at least on ebay 90% of the CDI's are like mine and liosted as 83-85 200x. I think 1 or 2 were the square ones labeled as 200x. Now this wouldn't be the first misprint in the manual i've noticed. Just trying to find out if anyone can help me out with this. Oh and i perform the meter tests on it as both models and i got a bunch of leads that read nothing and the manual says they should all have readings of infinity or smaller amounts on some, but something. So i guess it's shot?? I was turning the engine while hooked up and getting a spark on every other one kick. Trying to find out if its no good and which to order. Thanx trailprotrailpro hand

shortline10
10-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I think the 83 was square and 84/85 was round .

jwilz
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
thanks that helps. Do You know about the testing of it and what i should be getting for readings. A couple of em are giving no readings and i think that means its beat

kb0nly
10-07-2012, 08:20 PM
The 84 200ES is also round, the earlier years were square, the later were round. I rewired mine to the square type, better availability in aftermarket parts.

Don't rely on what your seeing with the meter, i can test a brand new on and not get what the manual shows, its just not easy to test these other than hook them up and see if it runs!

jwilz
10-07-2012, 08:38 PM
yea i got it hooked up and im getting spark on each kick. i was just pushing it too soft by hand earlier and it was sparking kinda weak but with solid kicks it sparks alright. think im just gonna let it ride and finish putting it together and see how it goes

Flyingw
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
The CDIs are fully transistorized so testing of said CDIs requires special gizmos to get accurate readings. Using any other method for testing CDIs is pointless.

jwilz
10-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Hey thanx for all the great help:TrikesOwn