PDA

View Full Version : any tips on cleaning a two stroke exhaust?

Mack
10-08-2012, 01:55 AM
So I'm running a factory exhaust thats pushing 30 years old. this thing (pipe and silencer) is packed with carbon and oily sludge. I've been running the hell out of it to try to burn some of it out but I was wandering if there was an effective or semi effective way of removing some of it. Its so bad the thing smokes for 2 or 3 minutes after I shut it off.

jeswinehart
10-08-2012, 05:14 AM
I burn the oil/crud out by placing a hand held propane torch tip towards the inlet on muffler.
You probably will need to let it burn several hours and will be amazed how much lighter it will be afterwards.

john

XxMurdocxX
10-08-2012, 05:40 AM
I like to use a 50/50 mix of degreaser and denatured alcohol with sidewalk salt. Just cap both ends off with a plastic bag and some rubber bands fill her up and shake it till you get it as clean as you want it. You might have to fill it up multiple times depending on how much deposit you have.

Mack
10-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Funny you mention the alcohol salt method. I used that trick regularly back in college to clean certain deposits out of certain glassware Lol. never thought i would need that trick again. Makes perfect sense though and i know its super effective from past experiences.

bigbore88
10-08-2012, 11:46 PM
@mack thats funny my buddy dose that way too lol

500 Fin Trike
10-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I have used an torch with a rose bud, get it almost red hot, go around the whole thing, you will need. Repaint when done, but all the build up will fall righf out, the silencer u can do the same, just dont get the alluminum to hot, pull the core out and burn it too. It will make a huge power difference, i could not believe it

fabiodriven
10-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I burn the oil/crud out by placing a hand held propane torch tip towards the inlet on muffler.
You probably will need to let it burn several hours and will be amazed how much lighter it will be afterwards.

john

I'm backing this method for sure.

sledcrazyinCT
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I put my exhausts in a bonfire and it cleans em right up just keep an eye on it so it does not melt or deform!

Mack
10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Do you put he torch in the pipe or just close to the inlet and full blast or not. Dont wanna get it too hot. Thanks guys

XxMurdocxX
10-10-2012, 03:42 AM
Funny you mention the alcohol salt method. I used that trick regularly back in college to clean certain deposits out of certain glassware Lol. never thought i would need that trick again. Makes perfect sense though and i know its super effective from past experiences. yeah thats where i came up with that idea as well. Same concept.....different application.

JasonB
10-10-2012, 01:04 PM
lmfao at you guys cleaning 'things out' with that method

I have even heard of just throwing the expansion chamber on a camp fire and letting it cook the crap out over night