PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z milky oil

matgod
10-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Hi guys i picked up my new tri-z 250 the other day which has had a complete rebuild, So the previous owner states. He said it had been sitting on a property for about 6-8 months not getting run, which is true. I drained the Oil and petrol, and checked rad coolent level. everything seemed fine bar the oil which was a grey milk colour. Im guesseing this is just a seal issue, i.e filler cap seal because it doesnt really seat that well. i have read about the water pump issue on the forums, but i think it may just be moisture build up over storage, any ideas on what you think would be great.

Here are a couple of photos of the trike. Engine rebuild all looks legit to me but the filler cap seat has been filed or something and isn't a flat surface.155542

dustrunner
10-09-2012, 08:59 AM
welcome, nice trike. yep water is getting in their somehow. was it covered up or inside while in storage ? i would drain the oil and see if it happens again,,, and replace the cap... and if it continues it,'s prolly the water pump issue....good luck

matgod
10-09-2012, 09:12 AM
thankyou for you'r reply, Yes it was stored in a shed, with a heavy rug over it. Will i do any damage to the trike if coolent gets into the trans, tiny amounts? I will try it out with fresh oil and see how she goes.

Regards Mat

New2Tri-Z
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I just had the same issue. Picked up a bike that had ben sitting for a few years. Drained the oil and it was very milky. Flushed it twice and still pretty milky. So I flushed with diesel and oil mixture and changed out the impellar seal. You can get a seal kit from ebay, or buy them individual from Yamaha. Havent had a problem since, still workin on getting the trike back on the dirt, but it runs like a rapped ape now and not a drop of water in oil. My suggestion is change the seal and pin the impellar, just for precationuary purposes.

falloutboy
10-10-2012, 01:02 AM
definitely flush out the case with some diesel fuel, or you will have to change the oil a bunch to get rid of the moisture otherwise.

matgod
10-10-2012, 05:12 AM
Thankyou very much for your help guys, I think for now ill just flush out with diesel and described, then fill her up with some clean oil see how she goes. i only want to take it out for a little ride just so i can compare how it is now to how it will be after ive rebuilt the trike Bar engine. Thanks again for you help and im sure ill need more of it.

Regards Mat

matgod
10-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Oh and also if anyone has a spare Yellow and black headlight shell, the bar to if possible i would like to buy all shipping paid of course.

Regards mat

matgod
10-13-2012, 02:27 AM
So. found out why there was moisture in my transmission, cracked Crankcase cover wich the seller failed to mention. How does this happen? whats the best way to fix it, New cover, Bog up? any ideas would be great.

regards Mat

bslama69
10-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Depending on where the crack is you could JB Weld it as a quick fix. Make sure to clean the area REAL good first with carb/choke cleaner and then rubbing alcohol. Best would be to get a replacement case cover. I'm guessing that the crack is around the water pump housing, seeing as how you are getting water in your oil. Curious as to why it cracked in the 1st place.

matgod
10-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah im curious to. Maybe overtourqued when it was rebuilt?. The crack is actually behind the kicker cover. Not the kicker cover itself but the crankcase cover behind it. When i was riding transmission oil started to come out of the crack then run down the swing arm. So i presumed that that was how the moisture got into the transmission causing it to be milky? Ive read forums saying they can crack when kicking. This is my first trike and the tri-z has was more compression that my banshee so im a bit cooky at kicking, but surly there more forgiving than that, any way when the new cover gets here i hope the same thing doesnt happen again. Ill try and get a photo or 2 today. Regards Mat

wisconsinite
10-13-2012, 08:07 PM
it's posible the crack happened when someone took the engine apart; there is a clutch cover bolt behind the kicker cover that i could see someone not knowing was there and trying to remove the clutch cover. idk if that would cause your water issue though.

matgod
10-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Yeah thats correct mate, that is right were the crack is to on that one inside the kicker cover. so probably your right.. Either way its very annyoing so hope fully ill put this new one on an will all be sorted, Will i only have to change the water pump gasket? or will other parts need to be replaced.