PDA

View Full Version : SUCCESS!!! She fired up! well kinda sorta......

jwilz
10-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Long story short i been rebuilding a 84 200x for a few months. Got everything but the rear axle, sprockets and exhaust on. So i figured i'd try kicking her over n see how it goes. After a lil bit of kicking she fired up a few times each time revving up then down to nothing. Choke half on was the only way i had it started. It didn't wanna go with it off even after i had it turning a couple times. Its getting late and i'm beat so i didnt wanna force it cus i know thats when mistakes happen so i called it quits. A couple things, the carb overflow was pouring a decent amount, and the countershaft was turning in neutral (no spocket or rear on it). Just wondering if either of these things don't seem right. Also like i said i gave up kinda quick but it still didn't seem like it wanted to keep running or turn with the choke off. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. But still I CAN'T GET THE SMILE off my face cus this has been a long time in the making and just to hear her pur a lil was soooo nice!!!:TrikesOwn

kb0nly
10-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Sounds like the carb needs a going through, but otherwise getting closer to a rider. Now where is some pics?? LOL

jwilz
10-12-2012, 12:50 AM
lol. yea i think it just needs a lil tweaking. i already cleaned the carb and reset it all to stock adjustments except the idle screw on the side of it. hers a pic as it was about a week ago 155674

jwilz
10-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Alright. I tweaked the carb a bit and i got her idling with choke off. I'm stoked. I think the reson for all the gas coming out of tthe carb overflow was just from kicking n kicking without it running. So i still got the rear, exhaust, and a couple lil things left to do. I'm welding brackets on the swingarm so i can put a new skid plate on it and i was gonna see about trying to grab a sprocket cover. Does anyone have opinions/ pros n cons about running with or without one. I've noticed alot of pics where people arent using one and was wondering if there was a good reason not to. trailpro

Jason125m
10-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Its normal for the front sprocket to turn in nuetral with no chain on it. I would be buying a case saver if I were you. Gas pouring out of the overflow means there was a piece of dirt in the needle seat.

jwilz
10-15-2012, 01:14 PM
yea im gonna start looking for one. thanx

belly
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I run a rear skid plate on mine because of all the rocky trails i ride on. it's better to beat up the skid plate than your sprocket, disc, or axle housing. also, you can slide over stuff easier. a con running one would be a loss of 1" of clearance.

jwilz
10-15-2012, 05:06 PM
makes sense. yea im gonnatry n get the front n rear plates n sprocket cover. thanx for the tips.

kb0nly
10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Looking good! Keep us updated, nice to see another one come back to life.

JasonB
10-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Congrats on getting it fired up! its an awesome feeling to hear a motor kick over that you personally assembled with your own hands! And the sprocket cover; i run without one and depending on my clothing choices my sprocket with sit that and nibble on my pants cuff on when in motion lol. Case savers are good, and a cover is probably a good idea too but its not necessary if you hace a case saver should the chain jump or break.

And was the bike on its own wheels and 'level' when it was pouring gas out? if it wasnt level the float will continue to allow fuel into the bowl and out of the over flow. Just a heads up. Now lets see some more pics!

EDIT*** on the skid plate, you want one for sure. I ripped off the chain slider on my bike just riding around St Joe last weekend, I dont run skid plates on the cradle or the swinger though. if you have the option run one ! :lol:

The_Steve_Man
10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
It looks like it is going to nice.

jwilz
10-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey thanks for all the help. Yea she wasn't sitting quite level but I noticed when I took the carb apart that the float wasn't able to close the valve when it raised. So with a lil adjusting on the plastic I got it functioning right. Stopped leaking. She's starting to come together pretty good I got her starting pretty easy and idling pretty smooth with choke half on. When I choke off it dies. Lil more fine tuning I guess. Idk I didn't have her warmed up too much cus I think I was waking up my neighbors last night! Just the header pipe on the rest of the exhaust is shot to hell and man she's loud! Sounding good tho. I'm bout to do some more when I get home in a lil bit. Pics will b up 2nite.