PDA

View Full Version : I need help!! PLEASE HELP pull start wont pull on 1984 110 atc

drewshane95
10-12-2012, 12:14 AM
I try to pull and it wont, so i took off the pull start and its not that! And the neutral with the arrow is in gear when its on that! and its was ridding great before and my cousin rode it and then he said it made a noise, and stopped. tomarro i will have someone pull me and ill try to get it to start in 3rd gear but i don't want to mess it up! So please help me! Any anwsers

tri again
10-12-2012, 03:15 AM
so the red ine on the shift indicator IS?
pointing towards neutral but it feels like it's in gear?

I know those indicators are available as replacements so maybe it got
twisted around.

Try rocking the trike back and forth (NOT running) and keep popping up
on the shift lever.

You really should try to find neutral before you start it.

Have you tried the search key?

drewshane95
10-12-2012, 04:13 AM
no, its like the pull rope is stuck but it is fine like it wont turn the engine, when its in neutral it seems like it should be in fourth with the red thing pointing away from the n! I cant even start it! The tires wont turn! I might try and have someone pull me tomarro but ill try and get it to the right neutral before i do that. and what is the search key!

tri again
10-12-2012, 05:20 AM
no, its like the pull rope is stuck but it is fine like it wont turn the engine, when its in neutral it seems like it should be in fourth with the red thing pointing away from the n! I cant even start it! The tires wont turn! I might try and have someone pull me tomarro but ill try and get it to the right neutral before i do that. and what is the search key!

There's a box on here that you type in hot topics to search for.

Ya know? I had a 90 that came back stuck, completely stuck and I thought the gearbox was toasted. would move, wouldn't roll, pull rope wouldn't pull..........

turns out one of the kids SLAMMED on the brakes and locked up the rear axle.
Brakes were completely stuck locked...AND it was stuck in 4th because we couldn't wiggle it enough to get the wheels to move so we could shift it., if that makes sense.

Can you rock it back an forth at all?
do the rear wheels move at all?

oh, also click on the following words.

service manual

good luck and keep us posted.
we'll get it figured out for sure.

ps
had a thought.
If your hi lo lever works, you may be able to get it into between hi and lo range gears
so the engine is essentially disconnected from the drive chain.
if it still won't roll, I bet the brakes are jam stuck.

Either disconnect or loosen the brake lever and cable down by the rear axle and try hitting the brake activating lever opposit of the way the brake cable pulls to tighten it.

drewshane95
10-12-2012, 11:54 AM
no. when its in neutral it rolls but its not faceing the n, then when its in it its on the other side of the n that's when it in neutral. Its not the breaks because it rolls in neutral.

tri again
10-12-2012, 12:27 PM
ok so the shifter only moves the indicator 180 degrees off the "N"?
or feels like neutral but the indicator points away from the "N"?

Not real common but there's a 9 dollar part called a 'shift drum stopper'
(a good choice for your search key)
They can come loose, bend and cause a mystery shifter.

It's a little arm with a roller on it that indexes or positions
the shift drum into specific areas like 1,2,3 or 4.

I think we better wait for some more opinions or go ahead and try the search key.

It's been quite a while since I've had one of those apart.

You might be in a 'false' neutral, kinda in between gears.
Even with a bad shift drum stopper, you should be able to
rock and wiggle and roll and pull up on the shifter to get the indicator to rotate.

But again, I've honestly forgotten more than I ever knew.
Wonder where everyone else is?

drewshane95
10-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Ya seriously I appreciate the help that you gave me tho! And i was doing research and thought thats my problem. well wont i need a special tool to open up the caseing to get to the shift drum stopper!

fabiodriven
10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Sounds like you locked up the motor to me. Good luck.

tri again
10-12-2012, 03:28 PM
thanks fab

As you can see, not so easy to determine what's wrong.

soooo?
the engine will not turn at all? is the question.?
sounds like to took the pull start off and the pull start turns off the trike by itself but will not turn the engine?
Can you turn the engine by hand with the pull start off?

drewshane95
10-12-2012, 05:32 PM
No, It will not turn at all! Its like it is jammed! should i have someone pull me to try to start it? And the rope works great when i took it off it was pulling fine! I was thinking its the shift drum stopper?

drewshane95
10-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Can i try to loosen it up by putting oil in the plug hole?

tri again
10-12-2012, 11:47 PM
No, It will not turn at all! Its like it is jammed! should i have someone pull me to try to start it? And the rope works great when i took it off it was pulling fine! I was thinking its the shift drum stopper?

ok,
Let's start over.

Don't worry about the shifting or shift drum for the moment.
We need to figure out why the engine won't turn.

The pull start is off and you see a basket type thing bolted to the engine
that the pull start pulls on and rotates the engine, right?

If you cross that 'basket' with a broom handle, you say the engine won't turn either direction
AT ALL?
not even the distance like a loose, but locked door knob?
If that's the case, you can easily pull the spark plug and certainly try to look down inside the cylinder.

Can you get a better story from your cousin ?
Maybe a few more details like it ran good, then crappy and then made noise and it got louder and then a big klunk and it stopped in it's tracks?

is there any oil in the engine?

drewshane95
10-13-2012, 04:10 PM
yes the bascket rotates the engine, Will not turn either direction, it will turn bearly, like a quarter inch sometimes. I pulled the sparkplug i looked in the cylinder but its hard to see threw that tiny hole! what i seen was drity metal. do you mean open it up? My cousin is a piece of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, he took off right after it happend!

drewshane95
10-13-2012, 09:08 PM
ok soo i pulled my bike and poped the engine free but now i have no compression? why?

muthey
10-14-2012, 02:52 AM
your cousin prolly snapped a ring, I wouldn't try to start it anymore for fear of further damaging the cylinder or or anything else. It is now time to tear down the top end, if you are lucky you will only have to bore .010 over and get a new piston. If you are unlucky you will have to get a new .050 over piston and have it bored to that, it all depends how bad it is gouged inside. I wish I would have seen this earlier as I would have told you not to try and pull it. first thought that came to my mind when you said it wouldn't turn over but the pull start was fully functional was that you seized the motor. Don't fret, this is more common than you think and there are alot of parts out there for your trike, so the cost won't be outrageous. Here is a link to a manual for you http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ good luck

remsandpets
10-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Where are you located? Where is Golden Valley?

drewshane95
10-14-2012, 03:41 PM
golden valley, Arizona

drewshane95
10-14-2012, 03:44 PM
How do i do that, take off the cylinder head? And how do you tell how bad it gouged? And how do you bore it you just buy a bigger piston?

drewshane95
10-14-2012, 06:28 PM
155819155820155821155822155823155824 heres some pics! ive pulled the engine off

drewshane95
10-14-2012, 06:30 PM
your cousin prolly snapped a ring, I wouldn't try to start it anymore for fear of further damaging the cylinder or or anything else. It is now time to tear down the top end, if you are lucky you will only have to bore .010 over and get a new piston. If you are unlucky you will have to get a new .050 over piston and have it bored to that, it all depends how bad it is gouged inside. I wish I would have seen this earlier as I would have told you not to try and pull it. first thought that came to my mind when you said it wouldn't turn over but the pull start was fully functional was that you seized the motor. Don't fret, this is more common than you think and there are alot of parts out there for your trike, so the cost won't be outrageous. Here is a link to a manual for you http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ good luck what do i do next? ive posted pics on page 2

muthey
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
sorry it has taken me so long to reply back haven't been on much last few months been busy with the holidays. So next you will want to take off the carb intake, then remove the cover on the side that says cdi, and remove the parts that are in there till you can see a chain. before going any further check if the chain you see is super loose or broke, if it is you will need a timing chain and tensioner guides if not, then we will continue. you will see two bolts, break them loose attach a piece of wire to the timing chain to keep it from falling in the motor when you pull the cam sprocket off. once the chain is wired up and the sprocket has been removed you can break loose the cap nuts on the top of the cylinder head. break them loose in a cris cross pattern, then fully take the nuts off. remove the cylinder head and check for broke or bent valves. you are also able to slide the cylinder off now if it wont move then your rings are definitely bad and the piston is frozen inside the cylinder sleave. If the cylinder slides off check it for scoring on the sleeve the piston slides in, also look for broke or collapsed rings on the piston. make sure to fully examine the piston for wear marks breaks or abnormal holes. now your best option is to take the piston and the cylinder and head to a repair shop to have it specked unless you have found a rebuild book and have metric precision i.d. and o.d. mics. Here is a link to a site where you can find a rebuild manual to make this a much easier task for you plus specs for everything I told you to check. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ It may seem a very daunting task your first time, but use the manual and take your time, and you should be alright.

muthey
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
or if you can wait until around middle to late may I will be in needles for a week and can come over and help you with it and check the specks with my mics. I try to get to needles once a year to visit my in laws, and golden valley/ golden shores is only a hop skip away.

KI4UJO
01-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Look at it this way - You have an opportunity to repaint your frame and get a very strong running motor. As said above, building one of these isn't that bad, I had no experience with ATC motors and did it on a table beside my shed. Just take your time, and you'll do fine and get the satisfaction that you built it yourself.