PDA

View Full Version : 200M chain and sprocket replacement

lafermedavid
10-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi all ,as the title says im trying to replace the chain and sprocket on my honda,I beleive im dealing with original chain and sprocket.I took the old chain off,and with the new chain I purchased came a new front and rear sprocket.Well for the likes of me I cant figure how to get that sprocket removed,removed the nuts holding it (rear) pulled/jerked,what am i missing,do I need to grind those gromets off and punch the tabs out. Again I beleive original honda setup no aftermarket,thanks for any help I can receive please help.I was almost ready to just leave sprocket alone and just put new chain on.somewhere I read that when you change chain should change sprocket thanks again

Flossyb20
10-14-2012, 12:02 AM
There's a retaining ring holding the sprocket on...look closely and you'll see it...there a groove there, and sometimes the mud/rust will hide it. Take a look at your new sprocket, and the ring will be the same size as the innner diameter of your rear sprocket. Don't sweat it...can't tell you how many times I forgot it was there.

lafermedavid
10-14-2012, 12:33 AM
my God your a life saver,sprockets off,could i possibly ask another ? The new sprocket has no dampers,do I use the original ring and dampers,do i grind the back of the rivits to remove original ring,I know Im stupid to this situation,Man thanks so much for pointing out that retainer thankyou dave

Flossyb20
10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
The new sprocket should have dampers in it...they must have sent you the wrong one...make sure it's for an 85 200m.

Flossyb20
10-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Should look like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rear-Sprocket-47-Tooth-Honda-84-85-ATC200M-/230797382816?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bc9894a0&vxp=mtr
This one's a little steep - find Sledpartsguys on ebay...he usualluy has the right parts at a good price.

lafermedavid
10-14-2012, 10:54 PM
yep sent me the wrong one,its for a 200.thats why I was dumb founded on the spocket.The guy told me thats the one they been using for 20 years.THANKS AGAIN FLOSSYB20 I was wondering if they even made a sprocket that looked like the original . How long do chains and spockets usually last? Thanks for the heads up for locating one.dave