PDA

View Full Version : 84 Honda 200S Shifter Shaft

JGW3
10-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Hey guys, working on a friends 200S and the shaft coming out of the transmission the shifter lever attachs to is completely stripped out and needs to be replaced. How hard of a job is this? Does the whole transmission have to be disassembled?
Thanks

Cornholio
10-14-2012, 05:17 PM
just re groove it. with a chisel or something. or stick some vice grips on it till you get it fixed. And yes for the most part the transmission does have to come most of the way apart.

Howdy
10-14-2012, 06:46 PM
just re groove it. with a chisel or something. or stick some vice grips on it till you get it fixed. And yes for the most part the transmission does have to come most of the way apart.
Wrong, wrong, wrong! Bad info!!

To replace the shaft you need to take the right side ( clutch ) cover off. You will have to remove the clutches. Then the shaft should slide out ( provided the shaft is clean on other side of the motor). I have replaced dozens of these shafts in the past. You do not need to get into the transmission ( splitting the cases ).

Howdy

kb0nly
10-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Agreed... If the other end is really F'ed up a sawzall fixes that. I cut one off so it would slide through and out. Its not a terrible job, but it takes a little time if you haven't done it before.

Get the manual below.....

Cornholio
10-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Mine worked after i did that... i put some jb weld in there though...

kb0nly
10-16-2012, 10:43 PM
You could always weld the shifter to the shaft with a small tack weld on the surface that you can grind off later to remove if needed. I know everyone on here hates this, and i do to as i have had to repair ones someone totally buggered up with a messy weld, but if its working other than that what do you have to loose? You will just have to replace it later anyway.