PDA

View Full Version : Do Aftermarket Reeds Require Jetting Up?

Mack
10-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know If boyesen reeds in a stock 250r cage would cause a lean pilot and main jetting issue. For some reason my air screw is backed out almost 3 turns for proper idle with stock size jets and the bikes all stock except for the reeds.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Generally jetting changes aren't necessary when just changing reed petals.

If you airscrew is out that means you are rich on the idle circuit. Remember, the airscrew regulates air, not fuel.

Go where the jetting leads you to go.

old-yellow
10-14-2012, 01:54 PM
I put aftermarket reeds in my trimoto i did not have to change the jetting, i don't see why you would have to, they just flow the air-fuel mixture more precisely into the motor at different rpm ranges so you get more throttle response.

TECATEMATT
10-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Some people say they do but personally me, just read your plug and go from there dude.

Mack
10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys. Just cant figure out why the air fuel screw is so far out from the manuals recomendation. Guess its not a big deal though ive just tried to tune it in by the book being its all stock. It runs great though.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-14-2012, 06:42 PM
The factory settings are what they are to make all engines run safely and make it through warantee. There is usually room to wiggle with factory specs.

If it is idling well and stable I wouldn't worry about the airscrew being out 3 turns.