PDA

View Full Version : 1982 185s Running Issues

Motor Head
10-16-2012, 12:06 AM
I have a 1982 Honda 185s. It runs ok. It blows a little blue smoke during first and second gear. I just had the top end apart and put a new had gasket and base gasket in it. I did get the rings put in correctly but I also hear a chattering in the top end when you rev it. I just adjusted the valves too. I'm not quite sure what it could be. It has extremely low hours on it. The piston looked almost new. Also the electrode on the plug is black. Smells like gas. Not wet though. Too lean or rich?? What do you guys think?

tri again
10-16-2012, 02:22 AM
Hi and welcome.
try clicking on:

service manual

and see if you can get the search key to work.
Not sure if the timing chain tensioners are adjustable, but either service manual
or someone will chime in soon.

Those may have some valve guide seals but whatever it is,
you've done well so far and this site has every answer I've ever
been looking for.

dustrunner
10-16-2012, 08:11 AM
yep, like tri again said.. did you replace the valve seals in the top of the head under the springs ? this is the most common cause for smoke. althought it wont hurt to put new rings in... did you use standard size rings ? does it smoke when you start it or just when in 1st and 2nd ? thats interesting if so...

kb0nly
10-16-2012, 10:53 AM
If its smoking when you first start it but it goes away thats generally a valve stem seal, if it smokes all the time thats rings.

You said you put rings in, did you hone the cylinder? The plug being black sounds like its also running a bit rich. The chattering i would go back through it to find out, make sure the valves are adjusted correctly and check the timing chain tension.

Motor Head
10-18-2012, 01:06 AM
It only smokes when its going in first and second gear. Maybe its just running to rich?? Thanks for the help so far.

shortline10
10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Did you check the ring gap? Should have honed the cylinder and installed new rings at minimum. You removed the piston from the cylinder and it lost its ring seat.

kb0nly
10-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Is it a blue smoke though?? Doesn't matter what gear your in, if its blue its burning oil, and if its burning oil the whole time then its the rings.

I just had the top end off my 200ES, i checked the ring gap and measured the cylinder and put it back together. I had no smoking and the cylinder and rings were perfect so i didn't re-ring it. The rings shouldn't cause any problems if you just took it apart and put it back together, but there is mistakes that can be made. Was it smoking before you had the top end apart?