update:
FTC is offering 50 grand for someone who comes up with a way to block robocalls

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So I was tawkin; ta dad about his cancer
and in 27 minutes, I got the call waiting from
- "increase you presence on google"
- "critical info on your credit cards"
- Our records show you're on social security disability"
and imagine if you fell down and no one found you for days.

Press one to speak to a survival consultant.
2 waterproof lifesaving clicker for the price of one.
Imagine if your elderly parents died and you didn't buy them a
lifealert clone?

...and then, in the middle of a 150 thousand dollar refi conversation i get clicked in:

who the f knows, but I answered it and pressed 2 to speak to a consultant..
cool jazz usic and then and dial tone.

These rat ^%$# are using auto dialers and if you answer the phone, they do not care and it matters NOT what their schpiel is, they confirm your contact and simply sell you name and # to a marketing firm.

"Click here to be removed from our mailing list"
simply confirms that you exist and your numbers are worth $.

Imagine some 10,000 hit auto dialer from a computer or clone you simply walk away from after hitting the enter key?

3 cents to 3 bucks a piece is nothin' to sneeze at times 10,000.
A certail percentage of dummasses will fall for it and that's why it continues.
We ALL love the font style that is from nigeria that wants a bank account number to deposit funds into , right?

It's just beyond annoying.

It is also legal to post fake phone numbers on your caller id
called 'spoofing'
so you can telemarket a few thousand people with no legal concerns.

So I end this rant AND rave with a call to my daughter with a new baby in Victoria BC
who mentioned that the DO NOT CALL list in Canada was sold to Americal
telemarketers.

There were almost riots in the streets.

Can ya tell I had to blow off some steam?

Thanks to all and I hate to be the beared of odd news but these
(*&*^^%%$$##$%^&*( cannot be trusted.

Yeah, well. when is a good time to call you?

They know when yer not home and show up with matching coveralls and
a liftgate rental truck.

Your neighbors would probably even offer to help.

(sorry for the rant and thanks for listening)

...Just got cut off...
...to be continued....
This is NOT a joke

fabiodriven
10-17-2012, 08:27 AM
It really has gotten out of hand. I get at least 3-5 calls a day from telemarketers in an 8 hour shift at my work. The worst part is, and I don't know how they do it, it's always at the most inopportune times. When I'm crawling around under a truck or something. I used to answer the phone and yell at them before we got caller ID, but then they would just yell back and call me even more. It's disgusting. Now that I have caller ID I just don't answer the phone when they call. That's the best I can do I figure.

It really makes me angry to the core, and they're attacking every facet of life. I get spam on my cell phone now and it drives me up that facking wall. My cell phone will go off at 6 in the morning before my alarm even goes off. They typically don't call my cell phone, but I'll get a spam ad that my phone thinks is a text so my text notification goes off. My initial thought is "If somebody's texting me this early it must be important." Then when I see it's spam I hit the roof.

It's a sad state of affairs that this is what "the land of the free" has come to. And supposedly it's all legal and there's nothing anybody can do about it. One of the many reasons I have grown to dislike my own country somewhat.

atc007
10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
There is a " no call" list for cell phones too. It doesn't work at home,so why would it on a cell! We use VERY little cell. But the tiny bit we do. We get this thundering cruise ship call,,you answer and it breaks your eardrum. trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro holes. Good thing i don't know where they're calling from.

El Camexican
10-17-2012, 09:35 AM
I have a personal protocol I use on telemarketers

1st call – I say I’m not interested and ask that they don’t call back.:)
2nd call – I ask them to hang on a moment, put the phone down and leave it. They eventually realize I’m wasting their time:naughty:
3rd call – I have a pealess referee whistle I like to use to blow out their eardrums. It hurts mine too, but it’s worth it.:twisted:

I even had a supervisor call back once to yell at me about what I did to their employee.:lol:

kb0nly
10-17-2012, 11:04 AM
I put my phone number on the do not call list and i have not had a SINGLE telemarketer call in over three years now, so i can tell you it works. However, there is a problem with the do not call list.

If you do business with a sleazy company that sells their customers contact information you can be called by companies you have done business with and its not against the rules of the do not call list. So if you do business with company A and they sell your info to company B and call you and you complain then company B will use the other companies info and say well we have done business with customer X before. Its a big loophole...

I don't give out my cell phone to anyone other than friends, family, and the rare customer or business that i have to include a contact number. All cellphone carriers in the country allow you to change your number once for free every two years. It's a pain in the ass to tell everyone i know, but if the calls are getting that bad change your number and send out a mass text message to everyone and let them know.

If that fails, i like the pealess whistle.... LOL!

JasonB
10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
somehow i dont get these calls on the cell phone number I have had since 2001. no solicitor calls whatsoever! ON that note, at my job we recieve calls from creditors looking for certain nurses we staff into homecare. We used to get them ALOT and we would have alot of fun with them and just keep transferring them between 6 of my coworkers for like 30 minutes at a time just screwing with them! One of us would be "Willey in the Mailroom", the next would be any random character we could think of with a retarded voice. All I remember is we would be crying with laughter by the time these foreigners calling thought they were about to speak with the person they were looking for.

We pissed one guy off, he called looking for someone and we screwed with him and he sat there and blew our phones up for 2 straight hours! the phone would ring and hang up, and do this to 3 or 4 of our lines at a time! The police even came and werent able to do anything because the caller was in another country on a fake phone number

RIDE-RED 250r
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
My number is on the "do not call" registry as well. I have had some issues, but not nearly as bad as Fabio. I feel for ya brother!

I had a home security company calling me ALOT a while back. I told him (on the occasion I actually got through to a real person) that I have all the home security I need with Smith and Wesson. He then asked, "well, does S&W offer 24 hour home survailance?". I say NO DUMBA--!! I'm talking about my collection of S&W magnums and if you don't quit bothering me I'm going to hunt you down and the business end of my 44 will be the last thing you see!! He hung up on me after that, LOL!

But then a week or 2 later they started back up again. So I verified my number is on the no call registry and then figured out I could report a business that was violating my no call registration. Once I reported that company, all calls stopped.

I still get the occasional call from "account services"... those wind me up too. Unfortunately I don't have the creative wherewithal in the heat of the moment to mess with them like some of you guys do.. I just end up cursing at them till they hang up on me... LOVE the whistle idea!!

Just makes ya mad, because if these crooks (and thats what they are) would put as much effort into an honest living as they do trying to rip somebody off they would be just fine..... Effin people

Jason125m
10-17-2012, 05:57 PM
I guess it is more of an issue in the US then Canada. I never get telemarketers calling my cell or my home phone...

Kasper1974
10-17-2012, 08:45 PM
I should probably stay out of this but I cant help myself from commenting. I use spoofing on a daily basis, but not in the telemarketing sense, I use it to get the debtors that I am hunting to actually pick up the phone. They tend to answer their cell phone when it says their office or house number is calling and so on.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Kasper, that's totally different and acceptable IMHO. It's one thing to use a method like that to contact someone who owes money to a lender, especially in the profesional capacity as is in your case.

Totally different when it is used as a telelmarketing or scamming scheme.

Kasper1974
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Yes it is different, just thought I would throw out a different view of spoofing. But I do think there should be regulations on who can and when it should be allowed. But man I could tell some great stories that started from spoof calls! lol

Kasper1974
10-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Also, I guess Im just one of the lucky ones, I rarely get telemarketing calls.

300rman
10-17-2012, 11:47 PM
I have a call spoof app on my phone. Its nice when youre trying to get ahold of a "friend" that wont answer your calls. So, you call him from his girlfriends number. Keeps him guessing :lol:

86T3
10-18-2012, 06:58 AM
My number is on the "do not call" registry as well. I have had some issues, but not nearly as bad as Fabio. I feel for ya brother!

I had a home security company calling me ALOT a while back. I told him (on the occasion I actually got through to a real person) that I have all the home security I need with Smith and Wesson. He then asked, "well, does S&W offer 24 hour home survailance?". I say NO DUMBA--!! I'm talking about my collection of S&W magnums and if you don't quit bothering me I'm going to hunt you down and the business end of my 44 will be the last thing you see!! He hung up on me after that, LOL!

But then a week or 2 later they started back up again. So I verified my number is on the no call registry and then figured out I could report a business that was violating my no call registration. Once I reported that company, all calls stopped.

I still get the occasional call from "account services"... those wind me up too. Unfortunately I don't have the creative wherewithal in the heat of the moment to mess with them like some of you guys do.. I just end up cursing at them till they hang up on me... LOVE the whistle idea!!

Just makes ya mad, because if these crooks (and thats what they are) would put as much effort into an honest living as they do trying to rip somebody off they would be just fine..... Effin people

Where do you report them to? I have a call every once in a blue moon but just recently i got a couple spoof texts. I think a lot of it comes from craigslist. I post a lot of stuff on there and forgot to put "o"s in my phone number rather than "0"s. I think the next time i get a call i'm gonna ask what they're wearing, breath heavily and make lots of background noise. Or maybe just go with the whistle

El Camexican
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
I guess it is more of an issue in the US then Canada. I never get telemarketers calling my cell or my home phone...

I suspect you are just lucky. They ring my parent's phone off the hook up there.

tri again
10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
*60 from the phone company is call blocking but if you
try it, and enter the number with a fake area code like,
123 and a phone number 456 - 6789
they say it's an invalid number and can't block it.

I did manage to track one number down and called the phone company in Florida.

The lady said that it was someone's home number for like 20+ years and the telemarketers
got a hold of it and started using it.

There is nothing they can do.

I've been telling them I've been getting death threats and they are now on the list of
suspects.

Nothing works.
Do not call list...

I did have a panasonic cordless that would block numbers but....

the caller id thing comes thru between the 1st and second ring so it would ring once and
stop which is almost as annoying.

Neighbor says he has some sort of caller id block box and it doesn't matter
what the name or number says, it will block whatever it says.

Gonna look into that and will report back.

El Camexican
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
I've been telling them I've been getting death threats and they are now on the list of
suspects.

Nice!!!:lol:

Howdy
10-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Here is one way to get back at the telemarketers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I

Howdy

RIDE-RED 250r
10-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Where do you report them to? I have a call every once in a blue moon but just recently i got a couple spoof texts. I think a lot of it comes from craigslist. I post a lot of stuff on there and forgot to put "o"s in my phone number rather than "0"s. I think the next time i get a call i'm gonna ask what they're wearing, breath heavily and make lots of background noise. Or maybe just go with the whistle

Here ya go buddy! https://www.donotcall.gov/