PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 1983 200e BIG RED Check it out!

niftylittleguy
10-17-2012, 07:33 PM
I just picked up a 1983 200e BIG RED for $200! its in good shape and runs like a Champ! I'm going to put a new seat cover on it and paint the tank the original red and buy the original stickers for it. I just wanted to know things i may have to buy for it or replace on the bike! Also how much is it worth as it is now and how much after i put the work into it!
-Thanks156313156314156315

RIDE-RED 250r
10-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Good score for $200!

What it is worth varies greatly depending on your location. But just about anywhere $200 is a great price. In my area trikes seem to bring a good dollar compared to other parts of the country. I would expect to see that trike for sale around here for $400-$500 as it sits now.

Front fork tweeked?? Looks like it is to me.

As to what you should get for it. Besides the obvious like the seat cover and possibly a good used straight fork, get stuff like oil, air filter, new sparkplug, and any other mantainence items and service it. Check the condition of the chain and sprockets and replace as needed. If they check out, just lube em up and go. Check axle bearings, front wheel bearings, brake shoes, cables (lubricate/replace cables as needed). You say it runs like a champ, then really all you would want or need to do is go over all the mantainence items and wear items and it should be good to go!

niftylittleguy
10-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I all ready picked up a new spark plug ill check it over and make sure everything is good. I live in North Jersey. I wanted to get a nice quad and sell this but i think im going to hold on to it!

dustrunner
10-17-2012, 09:14 PM
nice score.. looks good.. be sure and check the oil...

kb0nly
10-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Drain and fill the oil, fresh fuel, has she run in a while? A little oil down the plug hole and let it soak a bit before starting in case the rings are stuck/sticking. The motor alone is worth what you paid for it, looks pretty clean.

niftylittleguy
10-21-2012, 10:48 PM
finally got some use out of it! Used it to haul and move stuff around with no problem. I'm buying a seat cover tomorrow and putting some money in to my 1981 185s i already put a new exhaust on it and now i need to get a carb and a tube for the tire and it will be all ready to go.

kb0nly
10-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Sweet... Good deal and nice to see another one brought back. I saw two 200's the other day on a trailer at the gas station, tried talking the guy out of them but they were his son's "junk" that they were hauling out to the farm. Gave him my phone number told him call if you want to sell... Kinda itching for another one to wrench on. My 200ES is push button reliable now and all fixed up, guess i love wrenching!

sammiefish
10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
I think in general the price points found on these machines carries a very high value : cost ratio...
a'lotta machine for the money

niftylittleguy
10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
If feels like i have a disease now i want to buy all of the 3 wheelers i find haha! I found a 1985 200s that needs work for $100 also neI really wanted to get a 250es big red but everyone i have found the people want like $1000

Gates72ss
10-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Those big reds were some great little machines,,,My buddy has one in mint condition that i putt around on once in a while....Great little work horse of a trike...awesome deal i say..