PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250sx HELP!!

travis103192
10-17-2012, 11:15 PM
I had just bought this 1985 250sx and it runs and drives like a top, other than the front being crooked. The forks are not bent, and the wheel is aligned with the forks, but isn't aligned with the rear wheels. It looks to me that someone tipped it pretty bad and the frame right behind the handle bars bent. It pulls pretty bad to the right but not that bad on the trails or in grass. I took off the gas tank to see if there is any bending in that area but I don't notice anything. My question is, how do I make it straight and not pull to the right?

ps2fixer
10-19-2012, 04:00 AM
Nice looking Sx you have there. Mine is slightly off as well. I can't tell in the photos that well, but if the forks are not bent, then next thing I would do is adjust the tripples where the forks are held on. Can't really tell in the photos, but the handle bars could be bent, by the photos the left side (as if your riding it) is bent down slightly.

One thing you might want to check as well is the front hub bearings for slop, pretty sure they are only like $10 on ebay for a set + seals. The stearing stem bearings might be worn/loose as well. My 350x needs all the bearings, and they are pretty cheap yet for that.

fabiodriven
10-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Your first problem is your forks are bent.

It's hard to tell from the second picture, but your frame may have a twist to it as well.

If it's pulling to the right, either put more air in the right tire or let air out of the left one until it goes as straight as it can.

Thorpe
10-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Agree 100% with Fabio... Drop the forks out of the triples, and pull your fork boots, those fork tubes are definitely bent... Previous owner must have nosed it into something, also explains the weird kink in the front fender. Handlebars are bent too. So there are definitely front end issues contributing to the pull...

dustrunner
10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
i would loosen the tripples and try twisting the forks ( top part ) to get it straighter and also raise the right fork up a tic to also compensate if you dont want to buy forks... good luck

fabiodriven
10-19-2012, 02:49 PM
i would loosen the tripples and try twisting the forks ( top part ) to get it straighter and also raise the right fork up a tic to also compensate if you dont want to buy forks... good luck

Twisting the forks will do nothing. The forks are bent and that's that.

Trying to put one fork higher in the tripples will not work either. The forks are designed to be at the same height no matter what height they are at. The axle does not have pivots on it to allow one fork to be put up any higher in the tripples than the other.

The options are to get new forks, or get the bent forks straightened. Then go from there. If it turns out that the frame is indeed twisted, a new frame will be the next step.

dustrunner
10-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Twisting the forks will do nothing. The forks are bent and that's that.

Trying to put one fork higher in the tripples will not work either. The forks are designed to be at the same height no matter what height they are at. The axle does not have pivots on it to allow one fork to be put up any higher in the tripples than the other.

The options are to get new forks, or get the bent forks straightened. Then go from there. If it turns out that the frame is indeed twisted, a new frame will be the next step. if the wheel is turned so it pulls to the side one or both of the forks are bent.. for cheap he could turn each fork so the wheel would line up as best it could in this situation..

fabiodriven
10-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Or fix it the right way.

belly
10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
+1 on bent forks. you can find them for pretty cheap. just picked up a set for $45 shipped on ebay. also, get some new seals and put them on when you get the "new" ones.

v30Magna
10-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah. I just replaced the forks and wheel on my 250sx with 200x forks and wheel, and it tracks strait now, but it looks as though my frame was bent a little. So if you get the forks fixed you might be alright, I am now.

travis103192
10-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks everyone. I am going to check out some new forks for it. I did what I could for straightening it out and it is much better and hardly noticeable on the trail but I will replace anyway so it doesn't eat up that front tire as fast and so the overall life of the trike is lengthened.