PDA

View Full Version : getting a 2nd honda

sammiefish
10-18-2012, 10:46 PM
hi all...
im looking to get a second wheeler so mama can ride the 185s...
I want a machine with reverse and shaft drive... so I think that pretty much means a
1984 big red (200es) or newer but i dont see many newer around here....

what should i be looking for in a "new" machine...
should i hold out for a newer 250?
when did they get a suspension? (or did they)

is there a post i can read on this ... .what can you tell me to look out for...

i love our new 185s but we need 2 so mama and I can ride together...!!! she's the crazy one!!!

wisconsinite
10-18-2012, 11:00 PM
a 250sx might fit the bill also... similar to a big red but sportier and no low range. electric and kick start, shaft drive, reverse, pretty good all around trikes.

kb0nly
10-18-2012, 11:56 PM
The 200ES is a hardtail, no suspension.. The 250 series are suspension, so if thats important to you for ride quality then go 250. I love my 200ES, i just put some money into her and refreshed the top end to keep it running good. I do a lot of work with mine, downtime means money lost so she had to spend some quality time on the bench.

I just looked at another 200ES the other day.... I was tempted to buy it just for a working spare, i use mine to do everything from landscaping to carpentry work, just good versatile machines.

ps2fixer
10-19-2012, 03:29 AM
I second a 250es big red. Great for a typical trail machine plus "first" gear is actually a super low, similar to the foreman quads. I also have a 1984 200es which was my first trike, yep that thing is bullet proof, rings worn out, burning oil, leaking it, and still starts first pull for me after sitting a while. I have two 250sx machines, the rideable one has stiff suspention, the adjustments are to the softest settings so my rear shock is trash or it is just how they are. The sx is smaller and lighter so it goes faster.

If your into speed at all, keep an eye out for a 200x, 350x, or a 250r. I have a 350x that hasn't had a repair in probably 20 years, so it is pretty trashed, and I'm amazed at the difference between the machines, but these sport ones really have a better ride and tons of power to go. Of course all are chain drive, which I prefer the shaft drive myself.

I know your title says honda, but there are other brands of trikes as well, yamaha has quite a few shaft drive models as well, but I don't know much about them and they seem to be cheap in my area, around $400-600 for one that appears to be in good shape in the photos.

dustrunner
10-19-2012, 09:23 AM
i would go with a 250es big red... love them. also the 250sx is good but a bit more wheelie- ish going up hills.. full suspension and reverse and racks are awesome in my book.. good luck