PDA

View Full Version : 250r: best Esr kit?

Dimpy3
10-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Hey guys we have an 1985 250r. Just wondering what the best big bore kit is? I've heard that the big bore. Kits loose the snappiness of the 250r. I'm only 19 and I still enjoy it when the r tries to rip your arms out when you hit the power band. There's so many kits I don't know what's what. I still want alittle reliability But aggressive power is the main goal!:naughty:

kazander
11-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I am running a CT 310 kit on mine. After 2 years it is just now time for a new piston.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I have the ESR 78mm big bore (350 cyl kit), ported for mid-top with all the usual bolt-on supporting mods.

Lemme tell you something, there is NO lack of snappiness! I can easily pull 5th gear power wheelies when in the peak power and with a bit of a tug on the bars can pop it up in 6th. It flat out rips.

One thing to keep in mind, the 310 and 330 "bolt on" kit both require no case machining to install. That's fine with the 310 but I'm not a fan of the concept with the 330 "bolt on" kit. If you want to go 330, get the kit that requires case boring. It is a better long-term investment. Case boring isn't all that expensive and worth it to get the proper 330 kit. Any BB kit bigger than 330 will require case boring.

Tip: when you figure out what you want from ESR, don't place your order online. Alot of people have had trouble with online ordering. Plus if you just call them on the phone, they are good at putting together a special deal for you if buying more than one product/service.

Example: I called and ordered my 350 kit with TRX9 porting, ATC5 pipe and silencer, new crank seals, reedblock and the required case boring. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do remember they threw in the case boring for free and I remember figuring that what they charged for the whole package came in and about $250 less than if I had just ordered online at full price.

As to the question of the "best" ESR kit.... There's no correct answer to that. They offer everything from a 310 bolt-on kit to a 430 stroker. It depends on your budget really.