PDA

View Full Version : Need helpTRI-Z forks/ front end

adamszwheeler
10-21-2012, 09:39 PM
I put my forks on my Z today and my brake disk bolts look scary close to the fork- roughly an 8th inch clearance- is this normal? I also have slop on the opposite side/ right side. I tightened the pinch bolt and the front axle still moves around inside the fork. I only put the four bolts in the lower tree and did not put any in the upper clamp could this be some of my problem...thinking about it now I feel it might be but my axle was way loose on the pinch bolt side. I am thinking that after I put the top bolts on if it does not tighten up I would take a grinder with a cut off wheel and open the gap on the forks so it would be able to close tighter on the axle. As of right now the pinch bolt is tight and the gap is closed/ touching- well past the 14 ft lb my service manual recommends. Any other suggestions?

Michaels
10-22-2012, 08:34 AM
I have the same issue with my axle not being clamped down too
U can rock the right fork back and forth a gd amount
I got a num to a guy at a shop and I'm gonna c if he can make a bushing
For me to fill in the gap. I will let u know how it turns out
But I would like to know if that's my best bet to do that if anyone
Else has suggestions. I lent my front wheel to friend while I had my
Z apart and his z clamped on the axle just fine so it's def fork issue

adamszwheeler
10-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Bushing seems to be the answer. I talked to a few other people and they said just do that. I'll probably make one at work and put it in this weekend or next, see how it feels and reply to my thread so if any one is wondering how it went they'll be able to check it out or message me.156747

Michaels
10-31-2012, 01:31 AM
I got my fork back and I put back on bike and it came out nice and
Clamps the axle good