PDA

View Full Version : 200x cam chain loose as .........

jwilz
10-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Idk what i'm missing. So I narrowed down the problem on my 200x to a loose cam chain. The drive gear and cam sprocket aren't that worn at all. The tensioners have meat on them and don't appear that worn. But still with the tensioner adjusted all the way tight there is too much slack. Enough that it skips. I don't know what it could be. Can the chain stretch that much??? Please help.:wondering:wondering:wondering

shortline10
10-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes they do !!!

jwilz
10-22-2012, 10:44 PM
yea really? I'm just not familiar with these machines and i don't know how much slack there is normal or if there should be almost none. Like i said the sprockets and tensioners aren't that worn. With it tightened as much as it can go

kb0nly
10-23-2012, 12:04 AM
You need a new chain... If the tensioner and guide is in good shape i would just get a new chain and replace it. I have done them without pulling the whole top end off or pulling the motor, as i am sure many have on here.

Release the tensioner, easiest way to do this is remove the 10mm bolt from the tensioner adjustment, slide a screwdriver or 3mm screw that you can thread down into the tensioner and push it down as far as it can go then tighten the adjuster, now the tensioner is loose. Pull the left side apart, you will have to remove the flywheel but its not that hard with the right tool, its just a large metric bolt you can buy at the local hardware store if they are well stocked, I found mine at a local farm and fleet store.

Now pull the cover off the spark advancer/pulse generator, you need to dig down to the cam which requires removing the advancer, the pickup, and the pulse generator base from the head. Then remove the bolts from the cam sprocket and slide the sprocket forward onto the narrower part of the camshaft, this will give you enough chain slack to get the chain off the sprocket, drop the chain down through the top end it will pile up down by the crankshaft, remove from the crankshaft sprocket and there you go its removed. I use a long piece of wire through a link of the chain to feed back up to the cam, grab the wire when it shows up at the cam and pull it up and onto the camshaft then work it around the crankshaft sprocket and just re-assemble everything. make sure when you tear it apart you line up the timing marks on the flywheel and the camshaft so you don't have to spend a lot of time moving everything to reset the timing.

Its not hard, i can do one in about an hour, takes longer to scrape off the old gaskets and clean it up to reassemble then it does to replace the chain. After its replaced and the timing looks right release the tensioner and spin it over a few times, unplug the spark plug for safety, recheck the timing after everything is settled in and then slap it back together. You might want to buy a complete gasket set just to get all the gaskets, you mainly need the left side gasket and the o-ring and gasket for the pulse generator base and the gasket for the cover.

There shouldn't be much if any slack. You should hear the chain go WHIRRR when you rev it, not clank clank clank... LOL...

jwilz
10-23-2012, 03:54 PM
that last line, tho obvious, is what i needed to hear. Lol. Yea I've adjusted the timing with it all together just taking it apart as you said and skipping the chain around. I know i could easily take this chain on and off cus of how much play i got. The new one should fit better so i guess i would have to remove the crankshaft sprocket like u said. Haven't done that yet but I'll figure it out. Now to get on ordering a chain. Thanks 4 the help

shortline10
10-23-2012, 04:29 PM
The crank shaft sprocket doesnt have to be removed to replace the cam chain unless its worn out .

sammiefish
10-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I havent been in one of these motors before but i have a bunch of experience with the honda Z50 motor (my first bike as a kid(and a cr125 motor, but thats completely another monster))... then with my kids and the honda clones and a honda 70 motor w/ s TB88 kit that needs a new chain and wheel ive got in a box for the right project...

im not sure if it applies here but i used to take the top sprocket off, do the wire trick, install the new chain, then 'thread' the top sprocket and rebolt the top sprocket... I really dont know how the chain tensioner works on these... on the 50, 70, 90 motors there was just a rubber wheel... so maybe that tensioner trick is way better here... I would like to see more about that..... looking forward to hearing your progress

jwilz
10-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Thinking about going with D.I.D. chain. Anybody know the difference and which I'd want between- bush chain, silent chain, and roller chain. ?

kb0nly
10-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I think he meant Camshaft sprocket and said Crankshaft...

kb0nly
10-23-2012, 06:29 PM
I didn't know there was different chains when it came to the timing chain, i always just bought the DID chain needed from one of the many online suppliers.

jwilz
10-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Yea dennis kirk, E-bay and a couple other spots have the three options. From what i can tell i think the silent chain is the highest quality. I mean there all closely priced so i figured i'd try to pick up the best one so I'm just gonna grab that. Was debating on grabbing the sprocket, it's just $10, but i really feel when i get it and measure it up against the old one their gonna be almost identical. I can't notice any wear on it and it should wear like a normal sprocket with the teeth curving to the side right?

jwilz
10-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Yea just saw your reply on my other post. Makes sense about the 2-3 chains and sprockets being good. The sprocket is a pretty solid hard piece of metal. I'm just grabbing the chain and see how that goes. Thanks for the help bro. You been helping me with all the troubleshooting/repairs since I've had the motor back together and turning over. Much appreciated. I'll be sure to keep ya posted and let u know how it goes. I dropped off my swingarm to my boy today to weld on the skid plate brackets i made so hopefully i get that back soon and can reassemble the rear while i'm waiting on the cam chain to come in the mail.:TrikesOwn

kb0nly
10-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Thats what i'm here for, just trying to help! That and feeding my trike addiction... LOL!!!!

Be sure to post up some pictures when you get it back together. I didn't notice the different chains because the last two times i bought them i just went to Dr ATV or bikerchickltd on ebay and bought whatever they had for the model i was working on.

jwilz
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Yea grabbed the roller from bikerchickltd. I've had a lot of good experiences with them thru this rebuild

RodKnockRacing
10-24-2012, 11:58 AM
you could of went with a Powroll High strength cam chain