PDA

View Full Version : Blaster cranks

Dirtcrasher
11-24-2002, 06:19 PM
With all this talk about bad cranks I was just wondering, can the Blaster crank lower end bearing be rebuilt - split, replaced, trued etc.?? Or do you have to buy a new crank assm.?? What does a crank run??? :shock:

Tri-Z_Jim
11-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Its no different than any other 2 stroke air cooled motor.Blasters can be rebuilt and modified easily.My blaster crank case is all stock.I changed the piston/ring(OEM) in June and thier was hardly any wear on the stock piston.Just some carbon on it a from running a rich mixture.

These are pics of a tri-z motor.It was left outside for a few months with no spark plug.This is the first time for me splitting a tri-z motor. Japanese 2 strokes motors are all basically the same.

HemiChallenger71
11-24-2002, 10:18 PM
That looks pretty complicated, but then again not. How hard was that to do jim?

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-24-2002, 10:27 PM
looks almost exactly the same as my 84 250R, it's not hard at all if you have the right tools, and a manual

catfishwhisker
11-25-2002, 12:28 AM
I just replaced the crank on one a couple weeks ago. You can get a new rod kit for about $75. A local Yamaha shop wanted $50 to install it. You can buy a new crank for $150. Use your best judgement, but I went ahead and bought the new crank. The Blaster engine is nothing to work on. You might want to get a manual if you've never done it before, but trust me, it's nothing to it. Take your time, watch where everything goes, and you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, that's what we're here for. I'm sure everyone here would be glad to help.

Tri-Z_Jim
11-25-2002, 07:57 PM
I dont have manuals for any of my machines.I can reassemble anything I take apart.
I took the motor out of the tri-z and opened it up in a little less than an hour....helps to have air tools. The allen head bolts are a pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro that hold the cases together.I usually put small vice grips on each bolt as well as the allen wrench to keep from stripping the head out.
If you never did it before you should buy a manual.

TimSr
11-26-2002, 12:53 AM
Hey Jim, bet I could put it back together blindfolded!

On those allens, I went to autozone, and bought one thats in a 3/8" socket. Theyre a lot easier to remove with the ratchet!