PDA

View Full Version : honda rim support patch ?? how critical?

sammiefish
10-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Should the rim support patch always be used...???
how critical is this part??

i dont seem to have them...

#5 in the drawing

fabiodriven
10-26-2012, 01:01 PM
That looks like the valve stem to me.

old-yellow
10-26-2012, 01:09 PM
looks like the valve stem to me also

wisconsinite
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
i think maybe he means part#6?

fabiodriven
10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
If he is talking about #6, I know what that part is and I've seen plenty of people run without them. That's all I know though. I don't know exactly how critical they are.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Same here. I always thought those were used only on the 2-piece rims till I realized my '84 Big Red has them with it's conventional 1-piece rims. I kind of scratched my head as to why there are there myself, but I kept them in place anyway.

My only guess is maybe those old 4x130 (or whatever they are) bolt pattern rims with their much smaller studs than the newer 4x110, those rings may be there to somehow compensate for the small studs?? That's only a guess though.

ps2fixer
10-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Same here. I always thought those were used only on the 2-piece rims till I realized my '84 Big Red has them with it's conventional 1-piece rims. I kind of scratched my head as to why there are there myself, but I kept them in place anyway.

My only guess is maybe those old 4x130 (or whatever they are) bolt pattern rims with their much smaller studs than the newer 4x110, those rings may be there to somehow compensate for the small studs?? That's only a guess though.

I think Red Red is correct on this, the threads and nuts are very small compared to the 4/110 bolt pattern. I have took my 84 big red though hell and back with no problems WITH them installed. Just food for thought, maybe putting a fair side washer might do well if you ride it hard.

fabiodriven
10-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Just food for thought, maybe putting a fair side washer might do well if you ride it hard.

Not if it's a counter-sunk hole or chamfered nut.

ps2fixer
10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Not if it's a counter-sunk hole or chamfered nut.

I know it is flat factory, I think the nuts have the barbs to act as a locking nut.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes, my Big Red still has the OEM lug nuts and they have a barbed sort of washer surface on the inside of the nut that butts up against the rim/spacer plate.

kb0nly
10-26-2012, 10:51 PM
They are basically reinforcement plates if nothing else, one on either side to sandwhich the wheel inbetween. If you want a set i just saw a set of four of them on ebay for like $20. Not sure how much weaker the wheel would be without them but thinking they were put there for a reason after all. My 84 200ES has them, i remember when i took the rear wheels off to put tubes in the tires i was like what the heck are these things for... LOL

I remember seeing plates like those on some other stuff over the years and always figured they were to add strength.

Howdy
10-27-2012, 04:15 AM
The plates are a reinforcement to keep the rims from cracking / breaking in the middle. If you run without them you could damage the rims if you slide sideways into something. If you want to add some plates let me know. I have a few extra's at the shop. $11 shipped for 2 ( 1 rim ), $16 shipped for 4 ( 2 rims ), $21 shipped for 6 ( 3 rims ). Shipped via Priority mail.
They made 2 different sizes, if your interested I just need to know if the rims are 8" or 9" rims ( I have both sizes ).
Howdy

sammiefish
10-30-2012, 11:01 AM
thanks for the comments guys... I just picked up the right size rims and tires and forgot these and didnt know if the guy had them....
I called him back and he had them and gave them to me... I, now just need to be sure about the front to see if I have that pair

ATC_nubi
07-26-2021, 12:51 AM
The plates are a reinforcement to keep the rims from cracking / breaking in the middle. If you run without them you could damage the rims if you slide sideways into something. If you want to add some plates let me know. I have a few extra's at the shop. $11 shipped for 2 ( 1 rim ), $16 shipped for 4 ( 2 rims ), $21 shipped for 6 ( 3 rims ). Shipped via Priority mail.
They made 2 different sizes, if your interested I just need to know if the rims are 8" or 9" rims ( I have both sizes ).
Howdy

Good day. You still got those plates..i need the 4/130 bolt pattern 8" for my 125m...i would need (6) if you still got them. Thanks brother appreciate your time.