PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 suppressor

rjs89ia
10-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Anyone here run a suppressor on their AR? Been checking out a quick attach stainless one from YHM. Looking to reduce my signature while I'm coyote hunting out here in the open desert, just would like to know if anyone else has something effective.

El Camexican
10-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Sorry, I'm in Mexico where the saying amongst the AR street crowd translates to something along the lines of: "Suppressors? We don't need no stinkin suppressors!!!"

atc007
10-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Anyone here run a suppressor on their AR? Been checking out a quick attach stainless one from YHM. Looking to reduce my signature while I'm coyote hunting out here in the open desert, just would like to know if anyone else has something effective.

Perfect choice! I would HIGHLY recommend! They'll never know what hit em : ))

Scootertrash
10-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Here is a link to AR15.com suppressor forum. They should have all the info you seek. ;)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/20_Suppressors.html

I WISH we could have suppressors in MN. Unfortunately the Commissars in the Minnesota KGB don't feel that we peasants can play with those types of toys.

rjs89ia
10-27-2012, 11:45 AM
K thanks 007 the reviews on their products have been pretty satisfactory i believe thats the route i will go. As for AR15.com its seems like everythings an arguement over there i was trying to avoid the bs for some honest answers. It would be like talking about what oil to use in your 2 stroke here things just become a war over whats better.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
10-27-2012, 12:43 PM
If you want a good gun forum go to thehighroad.org it is great none of the bs is tolerated over there we don't have a specific ar forum but we have rifle country and and accessories forum for stuff like suppressors.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Looks like Wilson Combat makes suppressors for AR platform rifles. http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Suppressors/products/392/

Yeah, you'll pay as much for the suppressor as you probably did for the rifle, but their stuff is top shelf.

300rman
10-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Look into "Economy suppressors"

Its a cheap adapter plus the tax stamp. Lets you thread an Oil filter onto the adapter. They work really well from what I can gather from the videos Ive seen on Youtube.

Thorpe
10-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Here is a link to AR15.com suppressor forum. They should have all the info you seek. ;)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/20_Suppressors.html

I WISH we could have suppressors in MN. Unfortunately the Commissars in the Minnesota KGB don't feel that we peasants can play with those types of toys.

I am pretty sure with enough money, forms, background checks, first born, sperm sample and favorite pet you can get a suppressor in MN... I think it was the registering with the FBI part where I started to lose interest in the idea...

Scootertrash
10-27-2012, 09:31 PM
K thanks 007 the reviews on their products have been pretty satisfactory i believe thats the route i will go. As for AR15.com its seems like everythings an arguement over there i was trying to avoid the bs for some honest answers. It would be like talking about what oil to use in your 2 stroke here things just become a war over whats better.

So let me get this straight. You want opinions on suppressors, but don't want to put up with "shifting thru the BS"? When you have multiple manufacturers of any product you are going to have fan bois and detractors of each manufacturer.

If you want to get rid of the BS go to the Suppressor Forum and stay out of General Discussion. That's why they have specific forums for those things.

Is YHM better than Gemtech? Is AAC better than both? How will you know if you don't do some shifting? Or did you just want a handful of guys to tell you YHM is the schnizzle?

Do you plan to ever possibly own an AR in .308? Then you may want to consider an suppressor in 7.62. The difference in sound suppression will be minimal and you'll have a suppressor that will fit both weapons.

rjs89ia
10-27-2012, 11:30 PM
I may add an ar-10 upper to my collection so the 7.62 suppressor wouldnt be a bad route. Im not limited to yhm i just see a lot of their product out there and for a reasonable price. So if theres something that can beat it then why not try that. Also im well capable of searching the gun forums im not stupid i came to the open forum like i was supposed to in these matters and im trying to seek out advice from those i already share an interest with.

kb0nly
10-28-2012, 01:49 AM
You can't get one in MN even if you give your left testicle to the government... At least that i know of. The problem in MN is the county by county gestapo that makes the decisions, its not just a general state law, every sheriff makes his own rules on top of it. Worst when it comes to hangun ownership however.. I know some counties down here where handgun permits are given out with an eye dropper, you have to know someone or blow someone to get one.

Scootertrash
10-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I may add an ar-10 upper to my collection so the 7.62 suppressor wouldnt be a bad route. Im not limited to yhm i just see a lot of their product out there and for a reasonable price. So if theres something that can beat it then why not try that. Also im well capable of searching the gun forums im not stupid i came to the open forum like i was supposed to in these matters and im trying to seek out advice from those i already share an interest with.

I never said you were stupid.
I realize why you came to the open forum here, that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about at AR15.com or for the most part any other gun forum, or any forum period. Most have specific forums for different aspects of shooting to try to eliminate the "shifting thru the BS" you have to do in that particular website's General Discussion forum where everyone knows everything about everything. The link I posted was for the Suppressor Forum at AR15.com, where you could find specific information about suppressors.

As far as the "Economy Oil Filter Suppressor":
An oil filter IS NOT constructed the same way as an actual suppressor. Do a google search of how each one is constructed and you'll see what I mean.

You screw an oil filter onto the end of your barrel, then you have to shoot a hole in it for the exit hole?

I like the way it blocks the sights on the pistol. It would do the same on any rifle with iron sights and a lot of rifles that had a scope but not enough rise to see over the filter. Hard to tell in the vid but it looks like the sights on the AK barely clear the filter, if at all. I'd have to reasearch thae particular optic on the 10/22, but it looks like they have a riser mount on that too , just to clear the filter.

Ever watched the vids of the "Econo suppressor"? See all the smoke from the filter when he does the full auto segment? That is the burning powder left over after the bullet exits the barrel starting the filter element on fire. You would more than likely get the same thing even with controlled semi auto fire.:

http://youtu.be/haiqFcIXTqs

kb0nly
10-28-2012, 01:34 PM
The funny thing is with those guys using oil filters a lot of them are using 10/22's.... It doesn't take much to quiet down a 22.

Thorpe
10-28-2012, 11:29 PM
.. I know some counties down here where handgun permits are given out with an eye dropper, you have to know someone or blow someone to get one.

Hennepin County, it's not difficult to get one at all... Sheriff sounds like a horny bugger in your part!

rjs89ia
10-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Using the oil filter as a suppressor would be nice for an apocalyptic situation. i wouldnt buy it but i think i would stock up on oil filters just incase i need to change my oil a lot lol ):D.

kb0nly
10-29-2012, 12:41 AM
The Sheriff down here is a an old a-hole thats been re-elected only because the old farts look at the time employed, not the record of employment, so he keeps his job election after election. If it was his choice nobody without a badge would own a gun, no joke.

Billy Golightly
10-29-2012, 07:15 AM
For NFA Items that need Sherrif approval, you gentlemen should research a "Gun Trust".

rjs89ia
10-29-2012, 09:17 AM
The owner at the gun shop was talking to me about that, be a simple way to share your NFA goods with your friends. Just have to be careful though and make sure none of your friends like to hang out at the book depository lol.

rjs89ia
10-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Also without doing any detailed research on it I believe that when you create a gun trust it reduces the time it takes to clear your backround check by months. But I think I saw before that you dont want to make one up yourself its best to have a lawyer do it for you to lesson the chance of any unwanted hassle from authorities. Oh and whatever you do don't put some stupid title name on the trust like ronald mcdonalds crazy clown sniper club or something like that because you still have to prove that you created it if anyone should ask.

300rman
10-29-2012, 09:30 PM
The funny thing is with those guys using oil filters a lot of them are using 10/22's.... It doesn't take much to quiet down a 22.

.22 pistols are pretty dang loud....

That last demonstration the guy is shooting quite a healthy Rifle Round, and it quieted it down a LOT. And the cost difference is astounding, real suppressors get pricey fast for a good one. And I have heard several .22's with suppressors, and none were nearly as quiet as that pistol in the video.

rjs89ia
10-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Its probably so quiet because he was most likely using sub-sonic ammo. If I ran sub sonic in my AR with a suppressor it would be much the same but there wouldnt be enough gas pressure to run the action so you have to manually load each and the effectivness of the round is dramatically decreased.