PDA

View Full Version : Stripped starter teath.

another owner
10-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Near the start of the year i managed to find a set for cogs and starter motor for my trike, I probably used it every weekend for 2 months down at the river. I left home and parents got sick of it sitting around and me not using it, It sat around for about 4-6months and i'd often start it up every now and then. My parents then sold it to my uncle, I then went to borrow it for a weekend last week only to ind the starter motor teeth were stripped off it. I dont know what would/could cause this and now my uncle asked me why wont i buy it - Finding a startermotor for that was extremely hard and not exactly cheap for a second hand used one.

Anyone in the community sell them, I'm not sure what the cost for freight would be to New Zealand from aussy or even america.
85 Honda atc250sx big red i believe.

Cheers.

Flyingw
10-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Aftermarket SX/ES starters are readily available from US Ebay sellers for as low as 42.00USD. I would go through the list and see if any of them would sell you one and ship it.

This one ships to NZ for 89.00 additional
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-HONDA-ATV-ATC250SX-TRX250-FOURTRAX-85-86-/360478970569?hash=item53ee3892c9&item=360478970569&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

The main list
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A10%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=atc%20250%20sx%20starter&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1513&_pgn=1

One thing to note... If the starter shaft is stripped, chances are the mating gear in the gear train (under the oval cover) is probably stripped too. Pull the oval cover and inspect the two gears,

another owner
10-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Thank you.

The first thing i checked when i got the starter motor off was too look at the gears, But they are all fine. Its just the starter motor itself, I was thinking
maybe one of his kids might of tried to keep turning it over while the bike was already running. Are these starter motors meant to engage and disengage every time
you push the starter button? Cheers.

Flyingw
10-28-2012, 12:08 AM
I've bought 3 SX starters from that guy. No problems at all and even with the additional international shipping, still isnt a bad price. Dont take a chance on an old used one given the logistics. Good luck.

Flyingw
10-28-2012, 12:13 AM
The starter is only enabled when in neutral (green light on).

suzyq1
10-28-2012, 08:38 AM
i must say you handled your folks selling you trike much better than i would have,or any of my children would have (3 boys addicted to atv/atc's)(18,21,&23)My youngest boy cried when i made him let his couisin ride his honda 70.(AT 18)And no one touches my big gurl!good luck someone on the forum can probably hook you up or theres always fleabay.Now go rescue your trike!:

another owner
10-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Cheers, I wasn't really worried about it - The bike was still in hands reach.

I recently stumbled upon this 82 kawasaki tecate it needs a WHOLE lot of work but thought it would be pretty cool to look into buying if it
doesn't sell in the near future. Have a look guys tell me what you all think.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/quads-atvs/auction-527846236.htm

Cheers

Howdy
10-30-2012, 04:45 PM
In well over 20 years of working on machines I have never seen a starter shaft stripped without damage to the starter gear. Inspect it VERY closely because 1 bad tooth can trash another starter.
Most of the time the starter and gears get stripped because the one-way clutch goes bad. If the kick starter slips when kicking it over the one-way clutch is most likely bad ( 99% of the time ).

If you need parts I should have some good used ones. Though I do not have any of the clutches.
If you have issues with sellers not shipping to you let me know. I have shipped things for a few people over the years.
Howdy