PDA

View Full Version : My "HEY STUPID!!" moment of the day....

250sxman
10-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Yep. I had one today. Felt pretty Effin' stupid afterwards too....

I have one ATV and an ATC at the moment.... Finally got the 185s almost rideable so for the past few days I have been taking it out on the streets and running it to kind of test- and - tune to get the carb right after rebuilding it. As most of you know, the shift pattern is down 12345.

My ATV is a Suzuki quad sport 4wd, it is what I am going to use to teach my 2 step sons how to ride (the 185s is waaay more powerful than the suzuki) shift pattern is up 12345.

Since I've been messing with the 185s lately, it's shift pattern is what is stuck in my head... So I got the youngest boy in the back yard, brought the Suzuki back there, and it wouldn't go back into Nuetral!!!! Or so I thought....

Got it in the garage, started pulling the rear rack and fenders off (which are a PITA...) and started messing with the shift mechanism, then it finally dawned on me, "hey, trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro, you're shifting the wrong way!!" Shifted it back DOWN to nuetral and wanted to smack myself. Yep, I felt really dumb LOL. But, at least I didn't get to the point where I split the cases, then I would've just shunned myself from motor related fun forever.

Please make fun of me so I can feel a little better:crazy:

KASEY
10-28-2012, 09:06 PM
this is why i have rebuilt 5 atc70 transmissions,, some shift up and some down,,, it was way to hard to take 3 trikes out and have one or 2 with oppisite shift paterns!!!

kb0nly
10-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Ha... Don't feel bad dude we all have an off day. Been there done that myself, not tearing apart, but sitting there forever trying to figure out whats wrong before it dawned on me. I wish all of them shifted down...

hillbilly 200x
10-28-2012, 09:32 PM
It happens to the best of uses lol Did you really have to use the "R" word tho

250sxman
10-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Ha... Don't feel bad dude we all have an off day. Been there done that myself, not tearing apart, but sitting there forever trying to figure out whats wrong before it dawned on me. I wish all of them shifted down...

Yea shifting down is nice, my monster feet (foot) kept getting caught on the mudflap of that Suzuki and I missed a lot of shifts.... had to trim that mofo

250sxman
10-28-2012, 09:54 PM
It happens to the best of uses lol Did you really have to use the "R" word tho

Fixed. Bad judgement on my part.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Similar story here...

I mostly ride my '84 Big Red on the back forty here at home, 5 speed, downward shift pattern.

My wife's secondary machine is her '88 Suzuki Quadrunner. 5 speed, upward shift pattern.

I was riding seasonal roads up in Lewis Couty NY this summer. Due to lack of options that day, I was riding the Quadrunner. I came to a stop at an intersection, and started to go in 1st gear. Wound it up, grabbed second, wound it up again and that's where my brain and muscle memory went into Big Red mode without my knowledge. After winding it up in second I proceeded to dump it back in 1st gear instead of 3rd. Yeah, there were a few people standing outside the bar that was on that corner and I looked like a total greenhorn... Gotta love those forehead slapping moments!!

hoosierlogger
10-29-2012, 05:43 AM
I did about the same as ride-red 250r. I was trying to beat a rainstorm that was on its way. I had been riding my 110 (down to up shift) all day. I hopped on the TRX300 to move it back into the shed. I went across the road to put the trailer back where it goes. I went to shift into third gear from WFO throttle position while standing up. Went back into super low and I darn near went over the bars about 20 MPH.

tri again
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Anyone old enough to remember the difference between
asian and european bikes.

The freaking shifters were on OPPOSITE sides of the bikes.

so go to touch the brakes and downshift instead and eat some trippletreez.

250sxman
10-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Anyone old enough to remember the difference between
asian and european bikes.

The freaking shifters were on OPPOSITE sides of the bikes.

so go to touch the brakes and downshift instead and eat some trippletreez.

I bet that sucked.... Ironic part is yesterday was the day I was going to teach him about shifting...LOL rtfm

remsandpets
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
The 70 I just sold to someone who has another 70 was WTF'n me because it shifted up compared to his other 70 that shifted down. He was accusing me of tampering with the tranny. Just have to learn and remember which one he is on. Never touched the gear box on one, yet.

tri again
10-29-2012, 08:50 PM
I was thinking the change to upshift was easier on the splines stripping out
and / or
a little safer getting on the machine and accidentally stepping down on the shifter.

I do wonder what they were thinking.

Gas shut offs seem to be different too.

2+1=fun
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
When I bought my first big red I was used to dirtbikes. 1 down and the rest up. I shifted down and everything was going great, then shifted up into neutral. I did that more than once consecutively. The guy was looking at me like I was an idiot the whole time.